Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 19-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #101
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I know ,, whats that about Emma -- you sacrifice and suffer for your country and torts and they just ...just Be !
I tell them all the time they're ungrateful wretches when I've risked my fingers for their diet but they show complete disdain and turn straight back to the plantain and sowthistle. Then Esme has the nerve to sit on her food slate and look beseechingly at anyone who walks past so that they take pity on her and ask me if I've fed her. Seriously that little lady sure knows how to bat her eyelashes and get little extras!
Cacti though? Not a chance.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #102
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie Lou View Post
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

I swear by this page. Mine have a variation every day, today they have 7 different types all mixed together. The only thing I've found they're not overly fond of is Jack By The Hedge. But the page above shows you every weed, flower and shrub they can have so it's easily accomplished.
Thank you for link.
Old 19-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #103
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
At last, I do something really well! I have so many weeds and flowers for the torts they get a selection, although they can be quite picky and what they seem to love one day they ignore the next. I started off by letting them choose but now spend time researching the weed and if the torts should have. They are very clever, as I have never seem them eating anything they shouldn't. Thank goodness.
I grow Courgettes purely for the flowers, they love them. And Pumpkin flowers, same family I suppose. Great for naturally worming.
Old 20-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #104
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Chicory is also a natural wormer but again, that is in mammals and what works for mammals is not necessarily the same for reptiles. Who knows if the reason torts eat a lot of dandelion is to flush out their bladder regularly for some reason or even whether the diuretic properties of a dandelion even have the same effect on a reptile?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #105
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
Chicory is also a natural wormer but again, that is in mammals and what works for mammals is not necessarily the same for reptiles. Who knows if the reason torts eat a lot of dandelion is to flush out their bladder regularly for some reason or even whether the diuretic properties of a dandelion even have the same effect on a reptile?
As far as I was able to find out when we had debates about dandies before, neither the calcium problem nor the diruretic issue has been shown to happen in reptiles. There is a belief that since it happens in mammals then it might happen in reptiles. That kind of assumption underlies a lot of dietary advice.

If we used the notion that what the tortoise eats in the wild must be right then we wouldn't be feeding dandellions since they don't (on the whole) grow in tortoise habitats. But in the UK it is extremely challenging to grow the plants that thrive in the mediterranen regions.
Old 20-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #106
Finfendy
Egg

I love the tortoise table website. This conversation has got very interesting for a new tort keeper. I feed mine at least 5 different leaves / flowers daily, they don't seem to eat much and as yet I've only seen them take a bite from a dandelion it tends to get left.
Finfendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #107
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfendy View Post
I love the tortoise table website. This conversation has got very interesting for a new tort keeper. I feed mine at least 5 different leaves / flowers daily, they don't seem to eat much and as yet I've only seen them take a bite from a dandelion it tends to get left.
That plant table on TTT is like my bible now. What Tortoises do you have Fin? Have you tried Honeysuckle flowers? We have it growing wild here and I'm waiting patiently for it to flower, they absolute adore the flowers off it.
Old 20-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #108
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I read that Pumpkin was a good wormer for Torts, so by that reckoning I thought the flowers would be as well. As for Dandelion, even though they don't have that in the wild where they originate from, maybe they've sussed those properties out here and therefore seem to love it. Never had a Tortoise yet that stuck its nose up at Dandelion leaves or flowers.
Old 20-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #109
Finfendy
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie Lou View Post
That plant table on TTT is like my bible now. What Tortoises do you have Fin? Have you tried Honeysuckle flowers? We have it growing wild here and I'm waiting patiently for it to flower, they absolute adore the flowers off it.
I have two Hermanni Hermanni only got the on Sunday so they are possibly still settling in and they aren't even year old yet so teeny tiny. Just waiting for my honeysuckle to get some flowers on it. At the moment they are loving the flowers from the Weigela.
Finfendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #110
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfendy View Post
I have two Hermanni Hermanni only got the on Sunday so they are possibly still settling in and they aren't even year old yet so teeny tiny. Just waiting for my honeysuckle to get some flowers on it. At the moment they are loving the flowers from the Weigela.
Awww how cute! Soaking them daily? X