Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 26-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
MnoW

Default Eye health

We have 4 THB, one of which has a roblem with her eyes.
They were swollen, and we started treatment with "Isoptro Atrophine" (spelling? translated from dutch). It's an atrophine sulfate based -for oculair use- medicine we got for her.

We're a week further along the road now, and I just noticed that one of the other torts was chasing her and worse... biting her in the shield and rearfoot. I've immediatly removed that tort* (who is way to active for this time of year) from her space. The other 2 are either sleeping 24/7 or not acting much more than that.

I've got 2 pictures of her, made a few minutes ago. Also some notes:
She wasn't very active for a couple of days and spend most of her time sleeping. She is quite active currently. But she has not eaten for days. Her eyes are sometimes open, but a lot of the times (as now) closed, I'm under the impression she is looking for something (hotter/colder) spot to sleep or crawl into.

The issues the tortoise has look similar as the one in: Quinn So I'm considering applying the same treatment, as that worked out very well
Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and time, we are still learning!

*hostile tort is now sleeping in a corner, in a dark-ish/cave-like spot.

Last edited by MnoW; 26-11-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Your tortoise that was doing the biting is a male, so it needs to be kept seperate from your females.

What sort of substrate are they on? It should be soil, allowing for digging and some humidity, so should be watered or sprayed. Eye problems can be caused by lack of humidity, or vit. deficiency. Are the eyelids swollen all the time? You need to use photobucket for downloading pics as there are none on your message.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
MnoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelled Lady View Post
Your tortoise that was doing the biting is a male, so it needs to be kept seperate from your females.

What sort of substrate are they on? It should be soil, allowing for digging and some humidity, so should be watered or sprayed. Eye problems can be caused by lack of humidity, or vit. deficiency. Are the eyelids swollen all the time? You need to use photobucket for downloading pics as there are none on your message.
Are you sure? The biter-1 and bitee-4 (?) are both just 2 years old, pictures of male/female are here: http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=53383.

They are on bark substrate and the 3-year old has buried itself almost completely for a couple of weeks now. When night falls, they all do, and come up when the sun does so too. We spray at regular intervals, as I have gecko's that need a high humidity, so the shellies get some too. As for vits. I got Zoo Med's reptivite with D3, and they got both a UVA and UVB lamp.

The eyelids aren't swollen all of the time, at irregular intervals.

THANKS!! For the help, I'm not that confident with tortoises, and my girlfriend is stressing out. Vet appointment - in half an hour

Pics included:
2 of the sick animal, a third for a visual on the substrate.

Old 29-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

I think you need to explain a bit more about the eye pics. Why are the eyes not open? Is there actually something wrong with the eyes?
I would have said the eyelids look normal but just the eyes not open.
You say they are not always swollen!
Did you know tortoises can naturally puff up their eye lids?
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote