Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 13-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Herpard
Adult

Default tortoise wont eat on her own

Sorry if in wrong area.

My aunt gave me her tortoise a few days ago. My aunt has had her since the tortoise was 6 months old, she's now around 7 years.

Anyway for the past 6 or 7 years my aunt has hand fed Victoria and I'm now doing the same as she doesn't know how to eat on her own.

I did manage to get her to eat on her own but she couldn't do it properly, she would eat but doesn't know how to tear the food using her front legs and then gave up.

Anyone got any tips on how to get her to eat on her own.

Thanks.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Its funny isnt it I thought they all knew this, perhaps she has forgotton. I have read never to handfeed them as they get very addicted to it.

I have a hatchling with a jaw/feeding problem & she is great at tearing up, just hasnt got the strength in her jaw to hold onto what shes tearing & pulls it straight back out!!!

Guess you could try what I did with Albert my blind tort: chop the food, quite finely to begin with, sit them in a low circular dish (plant pot saucer is perfect) clear a space in middle for tort to sit & pile the food round the edge in front of them, gently push her head towards the/into the food. I have gradually made the pieces bigger, till now I dont chop at all.

(chopping the food releases the aroma, & should help entice her to try) there can be a lot of waste hhis way though, good luck.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Herpard
Adult

Thanks Lynn will give it ago
Old 13-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
herriotfan
Hatchling

Awww, bless her. Maybe she's a bit too unsettled in her new home to eat just yet, aided or not.
Dogs (Ellie & Alfie)
Parrot (Peanut)
Crested Gecko (Echo)
Electric Blue Day Gecko (Bobby Blue)
Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie, Twiglet & Percy)

herriotfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Herpard
Adult

As soon as she sees me with food she comes running over and waits till I feed her lol.

She won't drink from a dish either, she'll only drink when she has a bath.

She's so friendly though, you can put your hand in front of her mouth and she won't bite, you can even walk about barefoot near her too.
Old 13-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

It's quite possible she will never feed on her own. I have one I have hand fed for 20 years! In the summer, you may find she starts grazing on clover if you put her out on grass. The only thing you can do is let her go hungry and see if she starts to eat herself. If she finds it difficult to bend her head down, then I am afraid it may well be a life commitment. There is usually a health reason why she cannot, or will not feed for herself and that could be MBD at an early age, so make sure she has plenty calcium. Obviously at some time she ate on her own, or she wouldn't be alive! At seven years, she is still a young and growing tortoise, so there is hope.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Herpard
Adult

She had some pellets last night that she ate on her own, I definitely would hand feed those lol.

She just looks like she hasnt got the hang of using her front legs to help her eat so gives up.

Will keep on trying though.