Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Nade55
Egg

Default Hi everyone

Hello my names nade and i have been keeping reptiles for approx 5 years or so but i've never had a tortoise before, i have read alot about diet etc and have already ordered some seeds via ebay but whilst i'm growing mavis food could i give her the following product?http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...001341&alt=web i am trying to buy as many different foods as i can so she has a wide and varied diet but i dont yet feel confident enough to hand pick food from the wild yet, thank you everyone
Nade55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Stellanne
Hatchling

Morning Nade, welcome to the forum, what species of tortoise do you have? X x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Nade55
Egg

Morning shes a hermann's i think shes around 8 years old xx xx
Old 18-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Nade55
Egg

Morning shes a hermanns approx 8 years old xx xx
Old 18-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Daryn
Hatchling

Hi Nade, I pick weeds for mine to be honest, Im starting to grow flowers now as well. I sometimes use supermarket stuff mixed with it such as florette crispy.

Here is a few links for you to take a look at regarding weeds, flowers and other plant types.............

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page6.htm

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Nade55
Egg

Hi thank you for replying, yer she seems to enjoy going in there at night so i think i'll leave it in, perhaps you could help me with another querie ive got, i bought some fibre mix off SW ebay shop, it says on the sticky label 'cob to be soaked with water' does this mean i have to soak the fibre mix before offering it to mavis?
Old 18-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

Best thing to do is to go down a local unspoiled cycle track or something like that. Take your mobile phone and anything that looks weed-like - snap a picture of where it's growing (the whole plant in its spot) then a close up shot of the leaf itself. Then use photobucket, Flickr etc to upload on to the site here - in the edible weeds/plants section. You'll get replies I would think with what the weed is and if it's edible. Also as has been said maybe cross reference the replies (if uncertain) with The Tortoise Table website.
We've all been there and the only way of learning and gaining that knowledge is to take pictures of what you see and posting them up and looking on the relevant websites.
Start with the plantains - ribwort (slender plantain) and broadleaf (large oval) - these are the staple weed and probably the easiest to find growing at this time of year - and sowthistle. But again, ...snap and upload and things should get easier in due time, and you'll get more and more confident. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

PS - wash thoroughly what you pick xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hi Nade, welcome to the forum.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #10
Nade55
Egg

Thank you all for being so welcoming, i am a total novice when it comes to tortoises, i have been keeping various reptiles for a little over 5 years and in anyother new addition to the ever growing clan i would research thouroughly before taking on but i got a call on sunday night asking if i would take her on and she arrived tuesday night! So i tried to cram in as much research that i would need to start with, she has a massive underbite and a not so rounded shell, shes been passes from owner to owner (i am her 5th i believe and her final may o add!) My poor cousin was asked by her previous owners if she could look after her whilst they went away and they returned to england after several months moved without picking her back up! She'll be going to chine house for a full work up next week so fingers crossed

Tags
food