Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
hermione
Egg

Default He won't eat!

Hi all, I'm new to being a tortoise owner and I'd really appreciate some advice. I have a little (just!) 5 month old Spur Thighed tortoise (c/o wigwamman!) but he doesn't seem to want to eat! I give him varied lettuce leaves and dandelion leaves but he only seems to eat every other day or every second day.

He's 5.3cm and weighs 22/23g, which gives him a Jackson's Ratio of around 14.8!

He seems to sleep all day, even though his enclosure is 25-35 and he stays near his heat lamp, I have a CHE for nights and its around 20-24 degrees near the bulb.

He's active in his baths and I have seen him drink too, so I'm not too worried about him being dehydrated!

Any advice?! I've fiddled with his temps and I get him out most days if he still hasn't surfaced but I don't feel it's very natural to keep digging him out!

Also, the other day whilst he was having a bath, he started making little croaky noises?! Any ideas on what that is?!
hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

It's not unusual for this time of year
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Suze65
Adult

How long have you had him ? Cos it can take a few weeks for torts to settle in to a new home and this behaviour can be quite normal. Also it could just be the time of year, tho it sounds like the temps are good, how many hours a day are the lights on for. They need to be on for 12/14 hours a day.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
wigwamman
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermione View Post
Hi all, I'm new to being a tortoise owner and I'd really appreciate some advice. I have a little (just!) 5 month old Spur Thighed tortoise (c/o wigwamman!) but he doesn't seem to want to eat! I give him varied lettuce leaves and dandelion leaves but he only seems to eat every other day or every second day.

He's 5.3cm and weighs 22/23g, which gives him a Jackson's Ratio of around 14.8!

He seems to sleep all day, even though his enclosure is 25-35 and he stays near his heat lamp, I have a CHE for nights and its around 20-24 degrees near the bulb.

He's active in his baths and I have seen him drink too, so I'm not too worried about him being dehydrated!

Any advice?! I've fiddled with his temps and I get him out most days if he still hasn't surfaced but I don't feel it's very natural to keep digging him out!

Also, the other day whilst he was having a bath, he started making little croaky noises?! Any ideas on what that is?!

hi pippa.
as in our previous correspondence you set up and temps seem ok.i would advise you to ensure the night time temp stays above 20c at the cooler end of the table,this i have done with my one remaining hatchling and he's now 30g,have you tried the tent/bubble wrap idea to keep the heat in?
dont worry and dont take too much notice of the JR just yet.
if your still not happy with the situation by 10th dec get in touch with me as i will be traveling north on 13th dec and could visit or even swap him for you!
as long as he IS eating even though small amounts he will be ok.
dave

Last edited by wigwamman; 03-12-2013 at 02:33 PM.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
hermione
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwamman View Post
hi pippa.
as in our previous correspondence you set up and temps seem ok.i would advise you to ensure the night time temp stays above 20c at the cooler end of the table,this i have done with my one remaining hatchling and he's now 30g,have you tried the tent/bubble wrap idea to keep the heat in?
dont worry and dont take too much notice of the JR just yet.
if your still not happy with the situation by 10th dec get in touch with me as i will be traveling north on 13th dec and could visit or even swap him for you!
as long as he IS eating even though small amounts he will be ok.
dave
Yeah all the temps are the same and I have the bubble wrap tent set up too. He is eating, it's just not as frequent as I feel it should be. Can't believe the other one is 30g! No no, I love my little one!! Ill text you and let you know how he's going over the next couple of days thanks Dave!!!
hermione is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating, underweight