Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
connorfitzy
Egg

Default weird and worrying behaviour from my herman tortoise???PLEASE HELP!

I am very worried about my herman tortoise, at the start of this sumemr he made the transition from living in a vivarium to living outside, I was away for a while when he first made the transition, but after recently returning, I have seem very little of him, as he is just hiding away in his shelter all day, I am worried because not only is he not gaining energy from the sun, but he is not drinking or eating, I am very worried, I don't know what to do? has anyone had similar experiences?
connorfitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Xero
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Xero

Could just be because tortoises dont like change.. how long has it been since he hasnt eated or drank? also if it continues try him back in his VIV?

Peaches > Turbo > Speedy > Dexcie

1.2.0 T.h.Horsfieldii..R.I.P Speedy :(
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Are you providing him with any heat source at all? Mine have both a tubular heater and basking light in their outdoor kennel.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Xero
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Xero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M View Post
Are you providing him with any heat source at all? Mine have both a tubular heater and basking light in their outdoor kennel.

Helen xx

Good question, I presumed that they would have.. :P

Peaches > Turbo > Speedy > Dexcie

1.2.0 T.h.Horsfieldii..R.I.P Speedy :(
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
kkenny
Sub Adult

My Hermanns behave in exactly the same way when they are out and I put that down to change as the above have said but they still get a little sun.

Having said that, I only leave them out at night if it is excellent weather (they are 3yrs old) as I dont have heating in the hut/hide yet. (I hope that is ok, plan to sort that next spring for 24/7 outdoor living)

How long were you away? and is he an adult? as babies like mine dont regulate their body temp as well as adults.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Kirkie
Adult

Tortoises outdoors act differently from tortoises indoors, totally different activity cycle. When the weathers really good mine are only active early morning and late afternoon. Secondly, its just not warm enough (unaided by additional heating) for Med tortoises outdoors at the moment, they wont be active and the sort of weather we've been having makes them think winters coming and the respond accordingly.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi. If possible bring the tortoise indoors and provide plenty of heat and light for a minimum of a week. Where I am, daytime temperatures at the moment are only 16C with virtually no sunshine. For a hermann, this is not worth getting out of bed for.

The temperature range within which they are active is surprisingly small. If it is hot and sunny they won't come out because they will overheat. If it is cool and dull they don't come out either as it makes more sense for them to lie low waiting for better conditions.

Tags
behavior, herman, tortoise, weird, worried