Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
derrick0312
Incubating

Lightbulb Bathing advice

How do people usually train them to pee or poo during bath? I have been bathing her in the mornings in the last few days, but she didn't poo or pee and she look confused...one time she pee-ed right when she's back in the enclosure...what a nightmare.

Just when I decided to bath her in the evenings...this morning she poo while in the enclosure...which makes me wonder if she feels like doing it in the morning? Shall I bath her in the morning instead of evening - like making me to fit her, rather than her fitting my schedule? but I do prefer evening bath, coz' I need to work in daylight, and by bathing at night I can keep her active for a while for me to observe...

I don't really want her to poo/pee in the enclosure as this is not hygienic, and it will forces me to change the bedding quite a lot. I heard people have success in training their tort to do these things while bathing, please can you give me some tips on:

1) How you train them
2) what temperture of water?
3) How long
4) any other tips?
derrick0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
kkenny
Sub Adult

not sure you can train them - it's usually more about them being able to release there waste as they can gain an intake of water to replace it as in the wild they need to hold onto their wee to keep the cool/regulate the body temp.

The bath toilet does work for me 90% of the time and what I do it -

bath in afternoon/early eve for at 10mins at least at approx 37c. This is pretty warm but my George in not happy in it any cooler, also the temp falls in the water whilst in there.

The other thing is how big is your bath tub? I think something not to big works for us, George is 2yrs and i use an ice cream tub with 1 1/2inch deep.

Good luck.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008

Last edited by kkenny; 12-04-2011 at 09:00 PM.
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
derrick0312
Incubating

Yes I use a ice cream tub as well...with blue walls. Shall I use a smaller one?
derrick0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

1, You can't train a tortoise, they do what they do, some are lucky enough for them to go in their water but cleaning an enclosure regularly is I'm afraid part and parcel of keeping a tortoise

2, I bathe mine in warmish, not hot. Warmer water tends to go down well with mine.

3, 10 - 20 minutes, depending. If they are settled I leave them longer, up to 20 mins if I feel they may be dehydrated and they haven't defacated.

I kinda agree witht the theory that they will wee when they have access to water to replenish their reserves - hence in the bath.

The warm water IMO helps get their digestion going - hence the poo

I bathe my biggies in an old washing up bowl. My littlun goes in a plastic container, high enough so he can't climb out.

Tags
bath, bathing, pee, poo, toilet