Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
edward
Egg

Post Hibernation

I Have read so many conflicting reports and everyone tells you something different.
Our tortoise is 4 and we plan to hibernate him this year.
He sleeps in a vivarium (I see a lot of people do not agree with these but we have not had any problems)
His light anf uv comes on at 8 and he has something to eat around 9 and he then goes in the garden for the day and is usually brought in around 7 pm and has something to eat and his light and heat goes off around 8 pm and he goes to sleep under his log.
Our gardner, who has had a tortoise for 35 years says we should just turn off his heat and light altogether a put him outside and just bring him to sleep but with no heat or light in the morning or evening.
This seems severe - is this the way to do it ?
Could someone please tell what we should be doing to work towards hibernation ?
I would have though a little heat in the mornings and evenings would be the way ?
Will he be oK in an insulated box in the shed.
Hopefully someone can give me some clear advice

Thanks
edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
EJ
Adult

There are probably just as many conflicting opinions on keeping a tortoise in a viv. You are doing what works for you and it is being done successfully.

Same thing with hibernation... nobody actually knows if it is required or not. I'm of the opinion it is not. It does serve a function in breeding but that's about it. I don't think it is necessary otherwise.

In nature the heat is gradually removed. The tortoise will try and seek out a temperature that will keep it active as long as it can. I believe that the tortoise activity level is based on an average temperature. When that falls below a certain level the tortoise instinctively seeks out a refuge which hopefully does not go below freezing.

So... if you insist on hibernating your tortoise... gradually decrease the temperature... continue feeding(more conflicting advice) until the tortoise is finally bedded down... then pack it away for as long as you want. As long as the shed does not go below freezing that should be a good hibernaculum. The insulated box is a great idea. I suggest towels or rags as an insulation medium or even newspaper. I say continue feeding because food is not restricted in the wild. The tortoise will slow down and restrict its own feeding. Some food in the gut is not a bad thing provided the tortoise is healthy in which case it should not be a worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
I Have read so many conflicting reports and everyone tells you something different.
Our tortoise is 4 and we plan to hibernate him this year.
He sleeps in a vivarium (I see a lot of people do not agree with these but we have not had any problems)
His light anf uv comes on at 8 and he has something to eat around 9 and he then goes in the garden for the day and is usually brought in around 7 pm and has something to eat and his light and heat goes off around 8 pm and he goes to sleep under his log.
Our gardner, who has had a tortoise for 35 years says we should just turn off his heat and light altogether a put him outside and just bring him to sleep but with no heat or light in the morning or evening.
This seems severe - is this the way to do it ?
Could someone please tell what we should be doing to work towards hibernation ?
I would have though a little heat in the mornings and evenings would be the way ?
Will he be oK in an insulated box in the shed.
Hopefully someone can give me some clear advice

Thanks
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Edward

many people have found the information given here very useful:

http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/Hibernation04.htm

If you decide to hibernate the tortoise I suggest you read that and also

this one has good info: http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/35.asp

As you say there is conflicting advice. In the end we all have to make a personal decision for the tortoise in question. It is important to check that the tortoise is in good health and a suitable weight to be hibernated.

Some of us think it is beneficial but many do not see an advantage for the tortoise in being hibernated and there may be risk involved. The risk can be greatly reduced by planning and careful management. In some cases sheds can get too warm when the sun shines on them even in winter.

If you decide to hibernate the tortoise, there will be a load of people on here having similar concerns and asking the same questions that will occur to you.

Tags
hibernation