Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
Thanks Lynn, I've got a good idea of what I'm going to do , maybe get one of those low shed/ storage boxes for gardens , and insulate it, with a tube heater in it and then double box them and put the boxes in the shed / box. Does that sound like a good idea.
Yes, Suze. Probably the cheapest way to do it. How many box's will be going in? Is it for this winter? Asda do those 4 x 3 tool stores for £69, also take a look at greenfingers, primrose & argos. I have seen a tall one somewhere maybe B & Q (also Bike stores are an idea)

I have my eye on some of those keter plastic tool stores - they have in an ex catalogue shop near me for £20. Havent got round to buying any yet but might do for the ones I cant fit into the wooden ones just for extra temp stability & to stop anything getting to them.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Suze65
Adult

Thanks Lynn, I'm hoping I can get this set up for next year, so there will be three large boxes and three small ones. Do you think they need to be double boxed if they're in an insulated container/ shed?

So I've got plenty of time to shop around for a good deal on a garden lock up type of shed.
Another question, do you open the large box/ bunker at all to let fresh oxygen in?

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
Catwoman63
Adult

That looks great, given me some ideas to use my garage next year x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
Thanks Lynn, I'm hoping I can get this set up for next year, so there will be three large boxes and three small ones. Do you think they need to be double boxed if they're in an insulated container/ shed?

So I've got plenty of time to shop around for a good deal on a garden lock up type of shed.
Another question, do you open the large box/ bunker at all to let fresh oxygen in?
I would double box them definitely, just to be on the safe side. I open their insulated Den about every two weeks to check them - I usually check them late afternoon & only when its a cold day, never if its slightly warmer.

I would also actually go in person to a B & Q warehouse, as they sell off their displays regularly & discount them well. I have seen big but narrow bike stores go for £40 you could easily fit the amount of box's in that you have
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
Suze65
Adult

Thanks Lynn , speak to you later.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #26
Pussygalore
Adult

we had a shelf in our shed, added 3 sides to it underneath with the front being able to be removed, then insulated inside it with loft insulation. The torts had a wooden box which fitted into the space the front insulation and board would then be put back into place, it worked well and didn't take up much space. I did think that an old freezer would have worked well if air holes could have been made in the lid or even a large coolbox covered with something both are insulated boxes.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote