Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 15-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash
Default SHOCKING IMAGES OF TORTOISES INSIDE - LOOK WITH CAUTION

I do have permission to post this just to let anyone know.
Now as a few people will remember I have posted this image a few times. Sadly I feel it needs to be seen again as I feel a lot of people here will not have seen it before. It was posted on this forum before the change of server etc. Well anyway after a discussion with a couple of people i have decided its about time it was seen again.

It shows one of the crates from a shipment of 500 Horsfields tortoises on route to Hong Kong from the former USSR, which have been crushed, to death or almost to death.

I also have this image. Not quite as gruesome, but it again shows the horrible shipping conditions some tortoises face.
This time it is pancake tortoises being imported out of Africa for the pet trade. You cann see from this pic the way the tortoises are stacked on top of each other.

Sorry to anyone who finds these images offensive. I will admit these images make me physically sick and I find them very distressing paticularly the first one, which will haunt me forever Before seeing these pictures I had no idea of the true horror imported torts endure. Certainly one reason to buy UK CB.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

Pete they are very touching and moving pictures and i agree that they needed to be seen by people as its easy to turn a blind eye when your eyes havent been opened this is the truth of importing torts now does anyone want to buy one?

Nicky
Old 15-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
yam yam
Sub Adult

Default Re: SHOCKING IMAGES OF TORTOISES INSIDE - LOOK WITH CAUTION

Sorry to anyone who finds these images offensive. I will admit these images make me physically sick and I find them very distressing paticularly the first one, which will haunt me forever Before seeing these pictures I had no idea of the true horror imported torts endure. Certainly one reason to buy UK CB.[/quote]

very sad pete and yes i agree people should see these pictures
its very true when people say every picture tells a story a very sad one at that

i think this should be made a sticky
yam yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Glitter

Pete...

It feels kind of strange to be saying thank you for posting these pictures.... but if seeing these pictures stops people from buying from 'unreputable' sources then I think you made the right decision in posting them - and Sarah for allowing them to be posted.

Not knowing the origin of my gorgeous boy Mr Jez it brings tears to my eyes thinking he could have been treated in the same way as these poor fellows....Looking at him now... snuggled up in his hemp seems a long long way away from those pictures.

Thanks Pete x x x
Old 15-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
Cheffi

I didn't want to look but I'm glad I did. It made me cry and I'm a middle aged woman. Grrr what I could do to the people that put these poor things through the suffering if I had my chance
Old 15-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
aprillinda

well done for having the courage to show these pictures

no one should knowingly buy imports
Old 15-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
leggy
Sub Adult

i nearly brought a horsefield from a petshop before i was told about how they are kept and where they can come from.they were in a viv.and the snooty lady owner,wasnt forthcoming on info on tortoises,ie care /orgin etc.when she realised we were only inquiring and not paying the £125,she left us to deal with an oap and his £2.99 dog chew.my hubby turned round and said come on im not buying one from here lets go and walked out.another petshop the women said she was getting into tortoises in a big way and had a viv out back ready for them.she was going to charge £170 for them,but didnt even know what species she was going to get?.and she had been told by another petshop worker not to keep them in a viv ,but a tortoise table.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Well done Pete for putting these images up again, I know after our long chat the other night and the amount of questions being asked about some internet sites selling tortoises it was definately time to repost, just to remind us all and future newcommers why we are so against these pet shops / dealerships on the intenet importing these lovely animals we have a passion for so unneccessarily.

Ignorance is bliss, and if having this information in the public domain stops one person from going and buying a tortoise this route and buys through a reputable breeder instead to get a UK CB tortoise then it's worth us suffering the images, which is nothing compared to the suffering these poor tortoises have had to endure to come to their very premature and untimely ending!

If more follow suit thats even better still.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #9
thedeadtroll
Hatched

these photos should be shown to those shops who still sell imports...

brought a tear to a man's eye .... mine

steve
thedeadtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #10
Antony
Egg

Thanks Steve,
A graphic reminder of how much money means to some people !!
Ant
Antony is offline   Reply With Quote