Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 10-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #61
Jan W
Sub Adult

I've just returned from a trip to the Artic Circle and it was -25 in Alta! I only went out when it was -17.

11 degrees here at home today and felt warm! Torts up today and it was so great to see them again.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #62
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

the snow has melted a fair bit here now, it's 18 inches in the garden still though
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #63
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I've just returned from a trip to the Artic Circle and it was -25 in Alta! I only went out when it was -17.

11 degrees here at home today and felt warm! Torts up today and it was so great to see them again.
Oh my, Jan!!! -25!!!!!!!
You say it was a trip - I can only assume it wasn't a trip you chose for pleasure??
It must feel positively balmy to you back here.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #64
Jan W
Sub Adult

Hi Emma
Trip was purely for pleasure. I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights and my dreams came true with two nights of sightings for several hours and one night of the most amazing displays. Very magical.

I also went husky sledding and loved it.

Norway is very special. My first visit there. A trip of a lifetime.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #65
CherryBrandy
Adult

how lovely I have heard its gorgeous very expensive. were there any Wilbers?

Good job you stayed away from Wiltshire. McMafia been visiting I heard.

my lot been out all day and if doesn't drop too much I am letting them stay out as I was tshirt weather today so hot. CB
Old 11-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #66
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Hi Emma
Trip was purely for pleasure. I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights and my dreams came true with two nights of sightings for several hours and one night of the most amazing displays. Very magical.

I also went husky sledding and loved it.

Norway is very special. My first visit there. A trip of a lifetime.
How wonderful to see the lights. I take my hat off to you for dealing with those temperatures though. I feel the cold acutely so I’ve been wrapped up in numerous layers with the central heating on, a hot water bottle and blanket in the south, so just can’t imagine how bitterly cold you must have been that far north. Sounds as if it was all worth it though.

It wasn’t T-shirt weather here today, Clare!
Mind you, that’s coming from me - the woman who always takes a fleece to the beach for the moments when the sun disappears behind a cloud. Yes really!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 12-03-2018, 06:57 AM   #67
Jan W
Sub Adult

No such thing as bad weather - just bad clothes. Or that is what the Norwegians say.

I followed all the advice and bought some decent thermal underwear, socks and jumpers - merino wool and layered up. It really does work and I plan to do this more next winter (hoping this one is over). I also had a massive hood on my parka, woolly hat and wore a balaclava. Ski goggles to cover my eyes.

Also the air is so different. Fresh, not damp like here.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #68
Gordon
Adult

So did you see any torts out and about Jan.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #69
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
No such thing as bad weather - just bad clothes. Or that is what the Norwegians say.

I followed all the advice and bought some decent thermal underwear, socks and jumpers - merino wool and layered up. It really does work and I plan to do this more next winter (hoping this one is over). I also had a massive hood on my parka, woolly hat and wore a balaclava. Ski goggles to cover my eyes.

Also the air is so different. Fresh, not damp like here.
I keep saying I need a balaclava to walk the dog!
Sounds as if you did all the right things, Jan. How cold did you feel with that lot on? Did it just make the cold bearable or did you feel quite snug? I just can’t imagine those temperatures.

Someone we know has a friend in Norway and they said the air is very different - like it oxygenates better - so it was interesting to read you noticed the difference too. They love it there.

And do tell, did you see many torts?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #70
Jan W
Sub Adult

Dear Gordon and Emma
No torts seen! I wonder if anyone keeps them there? Just saw moose, reindeer and the huskies on land. On the sea many birds I was unable to recognise, but a sea eagle, seals and possibly a walrus and of course the whales all heading north for the herring.

Emma - I was lovely and warm and snug. It really worked. It was just after being out for a few hours my feet started to feel cold. I loved that feeling of being warm in that cold temperature - invigorating! Good excuse for hot chocolates too.