Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
kezia911
Hatched

Default Egg worries

My THB laid 5 eggs on the 24th April this year so they are on day 16, out of the five eggs one appeared to be infertile and the other four were all doing okay the first egg picture hasn't progressed too well and all that is present now is one vein looking bit..... Has it died?

On the second egg photograph you can clearly see the embryo except it looks like the membrane is pulling down is that due to too much humidity or not enough? Will it be okay ? Or is there something I can do to rectify it?
Many thanks in advance x

kezia911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
kezia911
Hatched

x Bump Bump x
kezia911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Ok I had 3 THB laid on the 20th April, so yours are a few days behind mine, I've 2 out of 3 fertile, one is bigger than the other so the baby looks smaller and the veins look smaller, your second one looks fine, not sure about the first one, but I also had 5 Marginated on the same day, 3 of those chalked and on day 10 I could see the ring of life and 3 embryos , and then a few days later only two, so one stopped developing for no reason. The membrane pulls down too soon when humidity is too low, I'm keeping mine at 75% , no lower. Hope this helps.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
kazzabb
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
Ok I had 3 THB laid on the 20th April, so yours are a few days behind mine, I've 2 out of 3 fertile, one is bigger than the other so the baby looks smaller and the veins look smaller, your second one looks fine, not sure about the first one, but I also had 5 Marginated on the same day, 3 of those chalked and on day 10 I could see the ring of life and 3 embryos , and then a few days later only two, so one stopped developing for no reason. The membrane pulls down too soon when humidity is too low, I'm keeping mine at 75% , no lower. Hope this helps.
Hi Suze, what do you mean that the membrane pulls down too soon when humidity is too low? I'm very new to all this, with my first two eggs last year, I knew nothing at all about eggs and their development, so just learning from here and a bit from the eggs currently in the incubator.
Karen
Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzabb View Post
Hi Suze, what do you mean that the membrane pulls down too soon when humidity is too low? I'm very new to all this, with my first two eggs last year, I knew nothing at all about eggs and their development, so just learning from here and a bit from the eggs currently in the incubator.
Karen
I'm quite new to it all too, but if the humidity is too low, lets say below 70 %, the membrane that lines the egg pulls away from the egg too soon and can cause a hatchling to pip too soon , a bit like crusty, not saying that's what caused crusty to hatch too soon, or if it pulls away even earlier you can get a big air bubble and the egg will stop developing, I keep my humidity at 75%. And when it gets close to hatching time you can up it to 80%.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
kazzabb
Hatched

Oh well, an extra thing to worry about all this having babies is ageing me, starting to look like Yoda now.
Kare
Old 11-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
alley cat
Adult

I dont believe that the humidity being too low was what caused Crusty to abandon egg! It was running at 80%. I think there was always something unusual going on in that egg, be it a twin or some kind of malfunction, that is why I posted pics of the strange candling results initially.
When there is any kind of problem, be it environmental or within the egg itself the hatchling will try to survive...by hatching
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
I dont believe that the humidity being too low was what caused Crusty to abandon egg! It was running at 80%. I think there was always something unusual going on in that egg, be it a twin or some kind of malfunction, that is why I posted pics of the strange candling results initially.
When there is any kind of problem, be it environmental or within the egg itself the hatchling will try to survive...by hatching
Oh Alley I wasn't meaning that's why crusty hatched to early, not at all, but just that they can, I know crusty was always a slightly odd looking egg, and had other problems. But he's doing so well, thanks to your amazing care.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
Oh Alley I wasn't meaning that's why crusty hatched to early, not at all, but just that they can, I know crusty was always a slightly odd looking egg, and had other problems. But he's doing so well, thanks to your amazing care.
Thats ok Suze, I was just thinking about humidity and the affect it can have on eggs in general, but we will never know for sure why Crusty came early.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote