Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 24-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #21
Kate
Incubating

It does surprise me that someone felt strongly enough about this to get in touch with you (albeit anonymously...).

You're a fantastic keeper Darren, and having UK CB babies is the ideal that we are aiming for, is it not? What is the controversy about breeding tropical types? Personally I've heard about much more problems when it comes to hibernation of meds, but perhaps I've not been learning about chelonia long enough?

Is this the girl I saw the X-Ray for? She looks fabulous
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #22
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Darren, you know best mate, you have got 20 years of 1st class experience behind you.

You are an unselfish person who breeds very healthy tortoises extremely sucessfully. I for one having met you was very impressed with the way you questioned and vetted me before you even considered letting me rehome any of your hatchlings.

I cant believe the gutless individuals out there that have the ordasity to send such emails annonously, spineless creeps need to be driven out.

No doubt this gutless individual is simply looking to you as a threat to their very lucrative dealer trade as you are producing healthy tortoises for no profit, as any money made goes back towards tortoise vet bills and the up keep of your amazing collection.

Darren you are a number 1 breeder and it would be a shame for you to be bullied into submitting defeat to nameless individuals who are trying to persuade you away from doing such a fantastic job.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #23
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

Ooooh! Thats exciting news! Hope all goes well 8)
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #24
tgidarren
Egg

Hi,

Everyone know whos knows Darren knows he is one of the most conscientious breeders and keepers of tortoises we know and is driven by his love for all animals, so I know he will have taken this post very personally. My personal stance is I think the problem lies with how responsibly the babies are moved on to their new owners. To sell them in pet shops for example to people who have no idea what they are taking on is completely wrong. I, and many many others, know Darren well enough to know he will always act responsibly and put people in the picture as to their long term on-going care and environmental requirements, without cutting any corners and if he feels they will offer an inappropriate home they don't get to take any on. Darren, it would be a shame for you to stop completely. There will always be people who want redfoots, much better they have them from you, with all the correct information, than from a dodgy dealer whose only interest is lining his pockets. I really hope you don't make any rash decisions based on the views of someone who clearly does not know what you are about.

Darren
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/T...otectionGroup/
tgidarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #25
wizzasmum

How cowardly, and as mentioned, how nasty to think it is someone we know. Probably jealous Darren that's all. Persoanlly I would rather be known for my strong views on many topiscs than being a coward LOL. If you can get good homes for your torts Darren then go for it and incubate them. Maybe we should start a section for entertaining, anonymous, cowardly mails <vbg>
Old 25-01-2007, 12:37 AM   #26
aprillinda

darren

i am totally shocked by the idiot who posted to you anon
he / she does not have the full facts
and has obviously not met you to understand how 100% sincere you are
if i come back as any animal my only wish is that you be my carer

i am also insulted by this idiot
what does he/she think i will do with my reds in the winter or when they get bigger
we consulted via private mail and telephone for months before you kindly let me have some of your red babies !!
you knew
that i have already made plans for winter accomodation when the reds are large
and i might add good sound plans for when i die
as you do with all people who are lucky enough to be able to rehome any of your hatchlings

darren print of the email rip it into squares and hang it on a hook in the toilet

your anon emailer has problems NOT you

linda xxxxxx
Old 25-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #27
sandy
Adult

Hi Darren

All the time you can find homes for them, go for it. I know you wont rehome/sell any tortoise
to just anyone. You make sure their set up is right for them.
Its funny how some nasty people have to resort to annonymous private mails, or get their
friends to support their nasty ways. Its a pity people cant be honest and stand on their own
two feet.
Your a great keeper, and have tortoises health and welfare up front.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #28
vivp
Hatched

i have got babies tortoise and i have already thought of what to do with them when they get adults,i have just nick my hubby shed its been insulated and got so much room for large adults tortoises, he has now been left the garage lol, I cant see how you would keep a adult tortoises in a table top thing.
Piglet do you put that Vermiculite in your incubator as well.
vivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #29
Graham
Hatched

I'm hardly qualified to comment on the rights or wrongs of breeding these species, so I won't, but I can see why someone might want to post their comments to you anonymously.
The subject of tortoises, and animals in general, is a very emotive issue for some people and can provoke very strong, sometimes out of proportion responses. This person would have no idea who you might pass their details on to, or how those people might react to their comments, on this forum alone their details could be revealed to several hundred people, and from there who knows how many?
Personally I think they should have the courage and confidence to reveal their identity, but not everyone does, even here on Shelled Warriors and most other forums I've visited only a very small minority use their real names, most preferring an anonymous username for whatever reason.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #30
Dazza
Adult

Wow Darren how heart wrenching is that, you get the buzz and excitement of your tortoises breeding and laying fertile eggs, you then have a decision to make about weather its fair on the hatchlings to actually give them life. Personally, and I am sure others will disagree. If my "A" wants an elongated tortoise he will get one, if not from you then a pet shop who may give the wrong advice and sell lots of unnecessary equipment. Also that tortoise he buys from the pet shop could be wild caught, so by you incubating and supplying your tortoises, not only will they be going to vetted homes with the correct husbandry advice and after care, but it means pet shops and dealers have not sold five potentially wild caught tortoise to in-experienced or ill prepared keepers, meaning five other tortoises will not be caught or imported to replace the ones sold.

Darren i take my hat off to you, how many breeders would have actullay stopped and thought before opening the incubator, most will have dropped them in the incubator, rubbing hands at the thought of £500+ coming in from the sale of the tortoises, commendable and admirable. 8)

This is a huge area of debate and one best had down the pub with a pint !!

Rgds
Darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote