Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 10-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
sophiewins
Incubating

Default Poppy the Puppy *updated with pictures*

Hi
Here are some pictures of our puppy Poppy who is nearly six months old now, we have had her since the end of August. She is doing really well although she still does not like being left in the kitchen over night and I am struggling to teach her to walk without pulling on the lead, any tips greatly received!

The first two photos were taken when we first got her and the others are more recent.
sophiewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Tara
Hatched

Dont think your pictures worked ... stll, when you next take her out and she starts pulling, stand still, be all giddy to get her attention, say your word 'heal', 'back', 'steady', whatever you choose (but keep it to one short word) and as soon as she comes to you give her a little treat ...

... eventually she will get the idea that pulling gets her nowhere ... it's actually causes her to have to stop and also if she follows your command she gets rewarded.

I trained my Chocolate Lab and Yorkie and both will walk off the lead and stop and go at commands ... and I never had to use tuggin, shouting or harsh methods ... unlike a woman I saw on the street this week so I stopped the car and told her what for ! Must have been PMT ! LOL

You can see my pets photos on a thread I posted a couple days ago

Tara
x

2 Sulcata's: Scoop. CB September 2006 and Travis. CB June 2007.
1 Yorkie, 1 Sprocker and 2 Moggys
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
sophiewins
Incubating

Aaaaah, i cant get the photos to load properly, if any clever person can do it for me or even better tell me how to do it I would be very grateful.

Sophie
Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Tara
Hatched

Could be because they are too big.

Try right clicking one of your photos and go to resize image then pick either medium or large.
The photo will make a copy of itself which will be much smaller (in MB) to upload properly.

If you dont have that option, send me the photos if you like I will resize and send them abck to you or just upload them for you, either way.

Failing all that, to make them smaller you can open them in microsoft pain, go to edit, stretch / skew and change the 100% to 50% in both boxes and see if the photo goes smaller. Try it over and over till you get the whole photo in inside the screen then just save it. Sounds complcated but really it's not.
PM me if you have any trouble or send me the photos to my email address below

Tara
x

Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
linda
Adult

http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/...ic.php?t=10737

hope this helps if not please pm me
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
sophiewins
Incubating

At the moment I am walking her on a collar and lead, have not tried a harness or similar yet as in the past I found that these have stopped the dog pulling but not helped me teach them not to pull.

So far I have tried three different methods.
1) stopping still when she pulls
2) taking a few steps backwards when she pulls
3) positioning her by my side, then giving her a treat and then stopping when she pulls and calling her back and rewarding her with a treat when she does so. After she has eaten the treat she then lunges forward again.

I have tried each method for several days but she does not seem to accociate her pulling with me stopping etc. I am worried that she is learning that walking on a lead means stopping and starting again and lunging forwards when she does start rather than walking. She is also a real scavanger and wants to sniff and investigate everything she sees which does not help.

Sophie
Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Tara
Hatched

I would have to say not to worry and to keep trying which ever method has worked so far, even if just slightly.

If she's going out enough she will get used to going out and the adventure of it all will calm as she grows

Just keep trying, it will work I promise.

Maybe the better time to try is when she's getting tired (if thats possible) and is calmer after the walk.

Just keep trying

x

Old 11-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
phoenix
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiewins

So far I have tried three different methods.
1) stopping still when she pulls
2) taking a few steps backwards when she pulls
3) positioning her by my side, then giving her a treat and then stopping when she pulls and calling her back and rewarding her with a treat when she does so. After she has eaten the treat she then lunges forward again.

I have tried each method for several days but she does not seem to accociate her pulling with me stopping etc.

Sophie
all suggested methods work (not sure about number three though) but a few days is not long enough for your dog to learn in, espesially a youngster who is constantly looking for whats new going on around her sniffing new smells ect, try one method only, for at least a month before trying a new one, if your using treats to train make sure its a high value treat, liver cake is good, or a good method is, make a loop in the lead and when the dog pulls turn around and walk the other way, letting go of the loop, as you turn say heal in a high pitched voice, gather up loop again & when/if the dog overtakes you into a pull, repeat again, yes this means you might be doing circles at first, but it does work, whichever method you use you have to be consistant for upto several weeks for it to sink in
Old 11-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
sophiewins
Incubating

Thanks to Linda and Tanya for helping me with the photos, I have tried to add them using the methods suggested and it still won't work despite Tanya very kindly making them smaller for me.

I will continue with the lead training as it is something that I want to achieve with her. It can be frustrating though when you are out for ten minutes and only get a few paces up the road as we are constantly stopping and correcting! It definitely takes lots of patience.

Sophie
Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
sophiewins
Incubating

Thanks to everyone who helped me add the photos, it was very simple in the end, it always is isn't it!

Here are a couple more pictures to show off my new skills.