Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

sorry off topic...but wot advise were u given with respect to the snails.....i advise keepers to put them int he freezer for 48 hours.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

Nice to hear this. It would seem kind of pointless.

You'd be surprised at how low a temperature they will hatch. Physical destriction or freezing would be the best way of making sure they do not hatch if that's the route you wanted to take.

Side note... We're not even allowed to keep those giant snails here in the states... but not too many people seem to be too concerned about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernards mom
i personally wouldnt destroy any eggs after advice on how to destroy giant african land snail eggs i was horrified and ended up with about 400 tiny snails. anyway i was mearly repeating what i had heard on here and so was wondering if not incubating them would be enough for them not to hatch!
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

they will not hatch after freezing.....i tried this in the past a si like to test my ideas......froze them for 48 hours with 7 batchs and non hatched within the year and a half that i left them ont here own. a friend did the same with idian sticks and non hatched then either.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #14
bernards mom
Sub Adult

i was advised to freze them and then crush them with a rolling pin or newk (dont no how to spell) them in the microwave. both ways were minging and i couldnt do it. like i say i ended up with all them eggs and had to get the zoo to come and get them! i gave them all but 1 snail but had missed 2 when sifting thru the soil and am now back up to 4 (dont ask me where the other 1 came from) any way as they were only little it has taken this long but we have just had our first lot of eggs from this lot. the local petshop sed they will have them. i wasnt sure that just puttin them in the freezer wud be enough but i could do that it was the crushin or cookin them bit i didnt like the thought of
Old 11-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

the freezer is enough.....they aren't really alive in the egg form anyway so it ani't liek ur a murder. not sur eif ur interested up if u have more baby snails my skink(type of lizard) owners find it hard to find snails in there garden than have not been posioned. snails are skinks and monitorts favoirte food and my owners will buy snails off u for food for they lizards. just a thought.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #16
bernards mom
Sub Adult

some1 else told me that but i dint no any1 with skinks. i have some geckos and anoles and a tree frog and still feel bad when i feed them crickets and stuff. wud hav to think about it. they prob (the zoo) fed them all to something anyway, but they are real cute when they first hatch. cheers anyway
Old 11-11-2007, 10:39 PM   #17
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

ur right i did not wanna mention it but the zoo wud most likely feed them to there larger lizards. local shops shud take them off u for food or if u advertise them on the net then they will go quick as anything. i give my snails a little bit of beer at the end of each month as a treat, they love it. what geckos,anoles and free frog do u have.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #18
bernards mom
Sub Adult

just had to look back and check it is a tree frog and not a free frog!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #19
bernards mom
Sub Adult

i also have two leopard geckos, 1 house gecko (purely by acident and strange cercumstances) and 2 green anoles the frog is a common (if there is such a thing) tree frog
Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #20
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

sorry....my grammar is very bad,i am half english and half stupid

wud love to see the house gecko. i used to look after knight anoles for a mate. yea ur common tree frog will be a european tree frog....they were the most kept tree frog until the whites came along lol. and they are still refered to as the common tree frog.