Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #21
onarock
Hatched

I might bump his basking spot up to 33c or 34c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgers View Post
I tend not to give him any treats :-/ on the odd occasion I might if he looks like he is in a mood lol

His table has a basking area and a cool area basking area has a heat lamp temp tends to stay between 22-29 ish has a thermostat so it goes off it it gets to hot, room is always nice and warm it's never cold in there I've got a chameleon in the same room with an open mesh cage and she is fine so I know it isn't the warmth of the room that's the problem. Uv light right accross his table.

I bath him at least twice a week maybe a bit more or less depending on his mood lol

He has all the supliments that he requires (when he eats!!!) has a cuttle fish two if he ever wants more, has a hide, varied terrain on the table water bowl etc etc.

I know I'm doing everything right I check with the vets every time I go and check online for other things I could be doing to make him more happy

I don't know why he does this! I've never hibernated him should I maybe start?? I've never wanted to because I think it's a bit two risky especially if he isn't eating
Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
winemaker1958
Egg

our male George slows down this time of year also.been to The Gambia and Senegal many times were they originate.Seen Leopards in the wild.There are 2 main sub types.This time of year is just after the rainy season.They're just starting to get active again.
We learnt loads from reading up.If you want to know what books we have we could post you a list.
winemaker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
kevvy1985
Egg

I'm having the same trouble iv had my leopard tortoise 3 weeks and he moves a hour a day I bath him twice a day he's not very active iv got temps right uv lighs hear lamps red bean lamp to stay warmer at night I have loads of hay / grass and he still doesn't move he's very shy still but coming out of his shell I got him from a pet store and think he's been use to a small set up and I think iv over whelmed him with his nice big tortoise table set up as when I close him in the Viv end he's awake and banning to come out as soon as I open it he don't move :s but has become more active I dunno if it's just the change of homing ? X
kevvy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

Leopards stress easily, may take a while for him to settle in. Mine are very active at the moment, I bathe them daily and twice a week I put some Abidec in the water.
Lynnie Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
kevvy1985
Egg

Thanks lynnie Lou, I am taking him to the vets for a new pet check over I bathed him today and he had the biggest poo iv ever seen a tortoise do, may I add you as a friend and I will ask a few more questions ect as I believe knowledge is personal experiences aswell as facts and details on websites x
Old 20-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
Evie
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevvy1985 View Post
Thanks lynnie Lou, I am taking him to the vets for a new pet check over I bathed him today and he had the biggest poo iv ever seen a tortoise do, may I add you as a friend and I will ask a few more questions ect as I believe knowledge is personal experiences aswell as facts and details on websites x
I think it's always best to get them checked for worms, weighed and measured when you first get them.

They do stress when there is change - I have had mine a few years and moved house and eventually moved them to their outside enclosure - each time they needed to settle in again.

They certainly can poo that's for sure !!! Hope he gets on ok
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #27
kevvy1985
Egg

Been to the vet got him weighed he said he's ok just could be a little bit heavier, but he's waiting for a poo sample as he would have to knock him out to worm him ? I hear butternut squash is a natural wormer ? Then again I hear people saying not to give it to them grr to many conflicting opinions lol x
Old 21-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
Evie
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevvy1985 View Post
Been to the vet got him weighed he said he's ok just could be a little bit heavier, but he's waiting for a poo sample as he would have to knock him out to worm him ? I hear butternut squash is a natural wormer ? Then again I hear people saying not to give it to them grr to many conflicting opinions lol x
It is said to be natural wormer but you would need to feed it for a few days and nothing else personally I would get a sample tested

I have only ever had to have one of mine sedated for medication as she is really stubborn
The others have always been fine

Hopefully he won't have them and wont need to be done - keep an eye on his weight if he doesnt gain any weight that could be an indication
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #29
rocio
Hatchling

Why does the vet need to knock your Leopard out to worm him??? When I've had to worm mine or give them pills or drops I just put the medicine on cucumber or opuntia or wrapped up in a pansy flower or petunia flower and it gets snarfed right down!
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
kevvy1985
Egg

Rocio the vet said its because leopards are hard to give worming tablets too as there shy and when in there shells hard to get out unless you knock them out I'm waiting for the results of his poo sample to see if he's got worms if he has ill try your way thanks for the tip any more tips you have with leopards idearly how to keep him active