Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 10-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #11
Stellanne
Hatchling

I think it would be worth continuing to look for Horace, particularly in next doors garden. My torts don't dig until hibernation time so he will have the natural instinct to do this if he gets too hot or cold.
I agree with everyone else, he is tougher than you think and of course in the 'old' days under hedges, shrubs and sheltered corners is where most tortoises hibernated and survived year after year. X x x. Hugs x x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
pagan queen
Adult

Don't give up hope. I lost my tort, Herbie, in the garden and he turned up 7 years later. It turned out he had been in the garden the whole time we just didn't know. We eventually got him back when our neighbour found him wandering in the farmers field behind our house. He was none the worse for his adventure, just a lot bigger.
Look out for plants going missing. We didn't realise he was the cause as we got some chickens and they were blamed for digging them up. Put a bowl of water out for him and his favourite foods, then watch to see if he appears.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Chris, don't give up hope. He may not be too far away. You've done all you can in terms of looking, but like people have said - he may not have gone far. And your neighbours and people close by know you're looking for him so they'll keep their eyes peeled.
Wendy (Pagan Queen) can tell you that they can find their way back, even after all hope is lost. I'm hoping she'll post here and tell you about Herbie. It can happen.
I truly hope Horace, your 'little sod' comes back to you. Please don't give up. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you & your Horace xx
Thank You but I think the little Sod has gone. I will not see again.
I do Hope you are well. You are a nice Lady.
Nice to get your message
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #14
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Don't give up hope. I lost my tort, Herbie, in the garden and he turned up 7 years later. It turned out he had been in the garden the whole time we just didn't know. We eventually got him back when our neighbour found him wandering in the farmers field behind our house. He was none the worse for his adventure, just a lot bigger.
Look out for plants going missing. We didn't realise he was the cause as we got some chickens and they were blamed for digging them up. Put a bowl of water out for him and his favourite foods, then watch to see if he appears.
I don't have 7 years but Thank You for being so Nice
Old 10-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
I think it would be worth continuing to look for Horace, particularly in next doors garden. My torts don't dig until hibernation time so he will have the natural instinct to do this if he gets too hot or cold.
I agree with everyone else, he is tougher than you think and of course in the 'old' days under hedges, shrubs and sheltered corners is where most tortoises hibernated and survived year after year. X x x. Hugs x x x x
Thank You, BUT I have never seen Horace digging down. I HOPE he is doing that now.
I have got up since Saturday morning, 6am to look into the gardens, same result no sign of Horace. I can't keep on, it breaks my heart. I am not well, it hurts me to do that.
So no more.
HOPE he comes back BUT not much hope I think.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace2 View Post
I don't have 7 years but Thank You for being so Nice
oh dear this doesn't sound good at all. I would imagine all this is making you even more unwell. I think what I would do is put some cardboard boxes (I know they will go soggy in the rain) out and his home, upturned pots if you can. At least he may not stray too far. One of the reasons I got into tortoise keeping was because my father was so very unwell so I can see how much Horace means to you. I think you need to accept if he isn't found he will likely still survive - but it is early days. CB
Old 10-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
SpurThighUK
Egg

Tortoises are resilient things, he's probably having a wonderful time and doesn't realise all the worry he's caused!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...s-home-5538835
SpurThighUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #18
yuna1971
Adult

Chris - don't give up. Follow the suggestions given and keep hope up. Pagan Queen's story is heartwarming and lovely and the point is - he came home. He found his way back and she was reunited with him. Doesn't mean it will be 7 years for you...might be 7 days, might be a little longer but the point is, follow some of the suggestions. Bit of shelter, bit of food that you know he likes. See what happens. But don't lose hope, ok. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
oh dear this doesn't sound good at all. I would imagine all this is making you even more unwell. I think what I would do is put some cardboard boxes (I know they will go soggy in the rain) out and his home, upturned pots if you can. At least he may not stray too far. One of the reasons I got into tortoise keeping was because my father was so very unwell so I can see how much Horace means to you. I think you need to accept if he isn't found he will likely still survive - but it is early days. CB
No, not good at all. But thank you. I have lost my dad, his cat, his dog now two years later Horace.
I am waiting for a big operation. My big bowel I am told will be taken out and be left with a costomy bag on my right side that is if I get throuth the operation. The operation has been put off many times and I am in so MUCH Pain. Cancer in remission so they say!!!
I paid and worked for over 25 years, now I am made to feel worthless. I bet if I had not been born here I would have had this operation sooner.
I need to except Horace has Gone
Old 10-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

what an absolute dreadful time of it you have had and then to be in so much pain. I know not much we can say will help loads but I do hope you get your operation and there is a lady I work with has a bag and though not ideal she is so lovely and lives a near normal life and not many people even know. I have had years of NHS and do have the upmost respect for them and the organisation. to lose his pets on top of your dad passing away is simply awful and seems unjust. At least cat and dog are with him now. And please give Horace a chance to find his way home, he may just do or a kindly neighbour may just pick him up. Keep us all posted wont you if you feel able.