Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

dunno but if my room temp gets to say 25c then under the bulb is away into the 40's c. it would be okay maybe if they had somewhere cool to go to. in the wild or in your garden they hide away from the sun during the hot bits of the day
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
yuna1971
Adult

Al, I get what you are saying for sure. But IMO, I would say the majority of keepers do provide that cooler end, which is why the hide is put there. I do agree about room temps and it can make the basking spot rather hot.
But...it is hard to judge on a cold brisk morning before packing off to work - whether a room is going to get too warm ...or get too cold during the day.
For the better part - I am not there, not speaking for Chris. But unless you camp out next to their enclosure for the whole day - then its hard to judge what the ambient room temp is going to get like. IMO, I would rather it was a warm room than a cold one.
Mornings can be brisk...so my first impression is that I think that the room isnt going to get very warm today. However...days have sometimes turned sunny...nothing I can do about it then, as Im in work. I like to think that Lily would have the intelligence to move out of the heat if he was too hot, or sit to the side or when ready go into his hide which is nice, dark and cool.
And he does just that.And at the usual time of the day when...so I read, they are supposed to. xxx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
Pussygalore
Adult

I usually have the house thermostat set at 20c so obviously the radiater in the spare room where the babies are goes off when the house reaches that temp. The lights/heat from the table make very little difference to the whole room temp and the sun doesn't have much strength at this time of the year, to be honest I don't see how a room can continue to rise unless the door is shut and the radiater/whatever is permanently on, if I thought my room would keep getting hotter I'd move the torts. With a room ambient temp that high I doubt anywhere in the table would be cool wouldn't it be the same temp as the room?, I'd be inclined to check your house thermostat is working because thats what its there for.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
yuna1971
Adult

Ann, I dont have the house heating on 24hours a day. It is on for a couple of hours in the morning, and then its off - then back on at the end of the day.
I dont see a problem with it. It has worked for a long time for me, and Lily is up and active in the morning until about 1.30/2.30pm - then he goes to his hide to sleep. I usually find him still there when I get home about 5-6pm. He is immersed in dried grass. He is bathed daily to rehydrate also.
For me - he is just acting like a normal tortoise, I think??. I give him the 2 areas to thermoregulate.
My room temp does fluctuate. It is milder outside at the moment - but will say again, I would prefer a nice warm room temp, as opposed to a colder one. The house is end terraced and I do find once a cold snap kicks in - the room is harder to keep at a good stable temperature. Its swings and roundabouts but it works for me and Lily, especially as I overwinter him. xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 29-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #15
Pussygalore
Adult

I suppose then I'm lucky in that I can keep the room the same temp without to much trouble also in that the heating can be on all the time, we are fortunate in that we don't pay bills as the flat and bills are part of hubby's job. I'm also finding that I can keep the humidity up a bit when I dry the odd bit of washing in there and I have a couple of bowls of water on the windowsill over the radiator. I'd have to do a major rethink if our circumstances changed and the heating was of through the day and do realize how lucky we are.
Old 29-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
yuna1971
Adult

Ann, with regards to humidity (room humidity) - for Ibera's - what would you say is a good percentage (if using a hydrometer). I do find if new soil, humidity shoots up but TBH, I am unsure of what would be deemed as acceptable and too much?? xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 29-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
Pussygalore
Adult

I honestly don't know, the only reason I'm trying to up it a bit is because of my tiny hatchling, and I think that humidity is now thought more important with babies and growth.
Old 29-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
yuna1971
Adult

I must admit...the hydrometer in Lilys room fluctuates too. Sometimes, low and other times it can read late 50's/60's% in humidity. I suppose....maybe not too unlike fresh rainfall during a hot day in their natural habitat...do you think?? I suppose they would still be out doing their thing..........

Lily's Movie.
Old 29-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
Pussygalore
Adult

well I'm only reading in the table not the room and I've watered under the log rolls which at the moment has put it up to the high 70's but bear in mind that in an open table the area under the lamp is already dry so they'd have a choice of where they went. Also the actual air wouldn't be as moist as the substrate unlik a viv where the moisture couldn't escape so easily so as long as they have both dry and humid I'd say they are fine (well I hope so) the actual room isn't damp but I only have one hydrometer and thats in the table with the probe in the hide. Terry on another site was telling me how important it is for hatchlings especially tiny ones like my baby not to dry out something to do with their kidneys and as the others are going I assume a bit more humidity won't do them any harm as long as they can choose.
Old 29-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #20
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

There is no way I can keep the room temperature exactly the same every day. The sun may not be as strong at this time of year but if the sun is out then it shines in the window and heats the room up in no time, if you try standing in a greenhouse at this time of year with the sun shining, see if it is warmer inside the greenhouse or outside. The heating may go off at a certain temperature but the room temperature doesn't stay the same because a) the sun shines in and b) I've got 2 heat bulbs producing heat at a combined 300watts total for 12 hours.

It's a case of getting the balance right and checking weather forecast temps for the days ahead etc (for me anyway) but if my room temperature is for example 25c then under my bulbs will be in the 40's. It's the same as a sunny day in June outdoors, it could be 86f one day then 76f the next but the sun is the same strength on both days
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote