Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 13-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #21
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Yes, you tried, Horace and well done for that It makes you a Shelled Warrior.
Old 13-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #22
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquestrianBabe View Post
Yes, you tried, Horace and well done for that It makes you a Shelled Warrior.
Thank You. I will TRY again. I hope the guy Eric will use the links I give him. BUT again the torts are LOVELY
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #23
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
The thing is, most of the torts, if not all of them that were brought over to this country before the '84 ban, came in as adults, and more than likely wild caught ones at that.

That is where their lovely smooth shells come from.

It is also very likely that many of these oldies that are more or less left to fend for themselves in the garden find stuff to eat that is good for them, weeds, various flowers etc.

They may also have sunny south facing gardens and nice safe places to dig down into when it's cold or they need to hibernate.

As Swad has said, for all the torts you hear about that are doing well and still going after all these years, there are many many more that weren't so lucky.
And it is alot of luck for those that are still with us.

The trouble is that most of the torts that people acquire now, especially new keepers are young.
Hatchlings not long out of the egg or a little older but still young.

They Need a good start in life.

What would happen if you fed a kid on crap like biscuits sweets and crips all day? Ok an adult might be able to get away with it but not a kid.

Now, you can feed your torts whatever you want, you don't have to provide your tort with UV, heat or predator proof enclosures etc etc.

You can choose to ignore any advice that you receive on here or wherever you get your information...that is your choice.

Me? I'd rather not take the risk.

End of Sermon

Amen to that.

This small number of aged tortoises represent a tiny percentage of the hundreds of thousands imported to the UK prior to 1984. The difference with tortoise importation this time round is that the tortoises are young, not fully formed adults who reached their perfect condition through years of natural living. Their formative years in captive care are vitally important.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #24
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Amen to that.

This small number of aged tortoises represent a tiny percentage of the hundreds of thousands imported to the UK prior to 1984. The difference with tortoise importation this time round is that the tortoises are young, not fully formed adults who reached their perfect condition through years of natural living. Their formative years in captive care are vitally important.
Well I tryed again and the guy did not want to know infact he was very nasty and I could have hit him in the face if I was like that. The guy is very luck I am not like that.
His torts look lovely and after all these years are looked after. So I will not be saying anything again to this person.
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote