Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
TortBabe
Adult

I agree Bindi, my torts are babies/juveniles, and I am doing everything I can to ensure they do grow healthy, they are far too precious and adorable to me to take any chances! Although you have to admire these torts who have done so well in less than favourable conditions
TortBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Dairy Milk chocolate is supposed to contain milk but it doesn't make it good for you. If good things are mixed with bad then one kinda cancels the other one out.
I am not on about milk chocolate. Bread and Milk, the guy feeds torts who are 78 and 83. Bread does have Fibre and Milk has Calcium!!
Horace will be 3 next month.............. I do feed him Pretty pet pellets every day, plus weeds when he wants to eat them I also feed him Lambs lettuce,Radicchio, Brocoli.
Horace gets up every morning at 7am-730am. When I stay with him outside he will walk around, eat but when I put him in his outside enclosure he just wants to go to bed after about half an hour
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Have seen a couple of Greek tort's of an old age kept, do as you like way, there main aim is to survive by any mean's and are adaptable, i agree that feeding bread, milk and banana along with anything they can get, would give them some needed calcium, phosphate's, and fibre much needed. If not given the modern, safe plant moderation diet and supplements
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
The thing is, most of the torts, if not all of them that were brought over to this country before the '84 ban, came in as adults, and more than likely wild caught ones at that.

That is where their lovely smooth shells come from.

It is also very likely that many of these oldies that are more or less left to fend for themselves in the garden find stuff to eat that is good for them, weeds, various flowers etc.

They may also have sunny south facing gardens and nice safe places to dig down into when it's cold or they need to hibernate.

As Swad has said, for all the torts you hear about that are doing well and still going after all these years, there are many many more that weren't so lucky.
And it is alot of luck for those that are still with us.

The trouble is that most of the torts that people acquire now, especially new keepers are young.
Hatchlings not long out of the egg or a little older but still young.

They Need a good start in life.

What would happen if you fed a kid on crap like biscuits sweets and crips all day? Ok an adult might be able to get away with it but not a kid.

Now, you can feed your torts whatever you want, you don't have to provide your tort with UV, heat or predator proof enclosures etc etc.

You can choose to ignore any advice that you receive on here or wherever you get your information...that is your choice.

Me? I'd rather not take the risk.

End of Sermon
I love Horace and I never ignore good advice. That is why I joined this site
!!!! and try to give Horace a good life. I do feed pellets every day to Horace plus the other food which I have said before.
Horace's shell is nice, dry nose, lovely bright eyes, he gets up every morning. Plus he did FLASH
I know people either hate feeding pellets or say its good for torts.
Horace is doing good

Last edited by Horace2; 12-05-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I also supplement the diet with pellets, once a week i feed, the other day's weeds/plant's and because the tort's are outside in pen's and it is cool weather, they have a no feed day.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
andybrock
Incubating

I think what we have to remember here is that this guy probaly started looking after these two a long time ago.Certainly before the internet and in a time when information on torts was pretty sketchy.
If he tried to change their diets now would they actually each anything else?
The chaps have obviously got used to no heating etc,they might still benefit from some additional UV etc.
andybrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
yuna1971
Adult

Horace2 - Broccoli isnt a great thing to feed, although some do. I think as long as your Horace is getting a good 5-a-day mix of weeds IN WITH the lettuce varieties and that you chop and change things, he should be ok. Also keep your food supplimented and pop around his enclosure a few odd bits of calcium so he can nibble if he wants.
But weeds are very good at the moment, lots of varieties coming up. So it should be no problem to get him a good weed selection now - in with your other stuff.
I would limit the Broccoli though...thats my opinion, others may differ.
Nice for us humans though although its contents do make me feel rather like a hand grenade....(if you know what i mean...)
xx good luck - hope this helps.
Just a word on the guy with the torts who get fed bread and milk. All you can do is perhaps gently have a quiet word. If he doesnt take much notice of what you say, then you have tried - you have the knowledge of what to do, and he might be grateful for what you know. Might be worth a try, perhaps bringing up the subject and asking how they are...and gently easing into the food area. xx

**just had a wee thought. You could go pick some good weeds and just pass them to him and say "I got these for mine and he loves it, apparently very good for torts" - and just hand him half a bag of them. He might be really grateful and say ok will see if they like them..sort of response.**Just a thought.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 13-05-2010 at 02:10 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #18
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

GREAT point Andy Brock. It might upset or stress them with a change of diet, when their menu has been consistent for so many years. And good idea Rach, that's what I would do!
Old 13-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Horace2 - Broccoli isnt a great thing to feed, although some do. I think as long as your Horace is getting a good 5-a-day mix of weeds IN WITH the lettuce varieties and that you chop and change things, he should be ok. Also keep your food supplimented and pop around his enclosure a few odd bits of calcium so he can nibble if he wants.
But weeds are very good at the moment, lots of varieties coming up. So it should be no problem to get him a good weed selection now - in with your other stuff.
I would limit the Broccoli though...thats my opinion, others may differ.
Nice for us humans though although its contents do make me feel rather like a hand grenade....(if you know what i mean...)
xx good luck - hope this helps.
Just a word on the guy with the torts who get fed bread and milk. All you can do is perhaps gently have a quiet word. If he doesnt take much notice of what you say, then you have tried - you have the knowledge of what to do, and he might be grateful for what you know. Might be worth a try, perhaps bringing up the subject and asking how they are...and gently easing into the food area. xx

**just had a wee thought. You could go pick some good weeds and just pass them to him and say "I got these for mine and he loves it, apparently very good for torts" - and just hand him half a bag of them. He might be really grateful and say ok will see if they like them..sort of response.**Just a thought.
Thank you for your advice. Horace has now stopped eating broccoli ( I hate the stuff) I have a greenhouse full of weeds but Horace will only eat them now and again. I do feed him 5 pretty pellets a day. Horace also eats lots of cut up Cuttlefish every day. I bath him every other day. Horace eats the other stuff I have mention before.
I don't see the guy very much, BUT I will do what you advice. BUTthe torts are doing well after 78 and 83 years. I don't think he will take advice from me.
Old 13-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #20
yuna1971
Adult

Well, at least Horace you can say you tried...you can only offer these things

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote