Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 10-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #21
Rowan
Sub Adult

I am so sorry to hear Horace has gone missing

It is just horrible and as you have said you have looked but do not make yourself more poorly you have done what you can but do not loose hope. Horsfields are hardy little buggers.

As others have said they sometimes do come home as in Pagan Queens Herbie.

And my 1st tort was also found after escaping as in the link below.

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=70816

There is always hope and support from us all xxxx
Old 10-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #22
Pussygalore
Adult

isn't there anyone who can help you search your garden, you really have to be on hands and knees and doing a finger search, its so easy to miss a tort and beleive me even if you have never seen him dig thats what he probably has done. They can hide themselves so well its almost impossible to find them but on hands and knees and searching the corners, under bushes is always worth a try. My hatchlings could vanish in a few minutes and you'd never know where they had dug, it often was just by feel that you could find them. If you do have gaps in the wire where je could have gotten out then maybe those the other sides can also do or let someone do a hands and knees search.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #23
Gordon
Adult

Where abouts in Wales are you.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #24
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
isn't there anyone who can help you search your garden, you really have to be on hands and knees and doing a finger search, its so easy to miss a tort and beleive me even if you have never seen him dig thats what he probably has done. They can hide themselves so well its almost impossible to find them but on hands and knees and searching the corners, under bushes is always worth a try. My hatchlings could vanish in a few minutes and you'd never know where they had dug, it often was just by feel that you could find them. If you do have gaps in the wire where je could have gotten out then maybe those the other sides can also do or let someone do a hands and knees search.
I have had help. There are nasty brambles in the corners but I have looked very hard. Looked everywhere and in my garden.
I just hope he finds his way back to my garden. He could have gone into the cow field. I did look but the field is very big, loads of nasty brambles in the corners. There does not seem to have cows in the only a few times a year.
I can only hope he is ok and will come back. I know Horace, when he is out, he is only active from 12pm to 4pm if the sun is out. Its 11.34am, the temp is only 21c so if he is still alive he will not be active until the temp is 30c.. The sun is trying to come out but its overcast.
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #25
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Where abouts in Wales are you.
I live just outside Aberystwyth
Old 11-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post

It is just horrible and as you have said you have looked but do not make yourself more poorly you have done what you can but do not loose hope. Horsfields are hardy little buggers.

Loving your story Row and the photo is brill ! just goes to show they do turn up somewhere and people like you say will support.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #27
alley cat
Adult

Maybe you could enlist the help of a terrier with a good nose? my dog would find a tortoise given the opportunity!
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #28
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post

Thank You for such a lovely message. Still no sign of him but I will keep the Hope.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #29
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
Maybe you could enlist the help of a terrier with a good nose? my dog would find a tortoise given the opportunity!
My Stanley is a Jack and not even him can find Horace. I made myself ill this morning at 6am. I went into the gardens and walked half a mile to the gate that goes into the cow field. The cow field is next to my fence, but no way can I get over that into the field so at to walk all the way round.
I just can't find him.
You have all been very very Nice, I wish there was more kind people like you in this world.
I will just have to Hope he comes back. I have told loads of people, Horace will even be mentioned in Church.
I will tell you if I find him. God Bless you all
Old 12-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #30
Daryn
Hatchling

So very sorry to hear he has gone missing, I keep my fingers crossed for you, wish I lived close I would search for him. As ohers have said you never know he may just wander back

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote