Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 31-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #41
yuna1971
Adult

That sounds great Paul. Yeah I mean, the temps do get real warm or can do during the day. But his enclosed hide is a good retreat for him, which he uses at around 2pm. I think that was the point I was making and also (for Horace2) its a GOOD thing that his tort is active, considering the way he was a while back. Horace2 (aka Chris) made some tweaks here and there and now his tortoise Horace has improved so much. I think if overwintering - its a good thing to keep this warmth contained. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #42
Pussygalore
Adult

the only reason I mentioned the temps was that it was mentioned that the tort is very active overnight, to me that suggested that the temps don't drop enough and the tort unable to sleep and is try to get away from the heat. Where ever you are in the world theres a drop at night and in some parts although its hot through the day it can get very cold at night, if the temps are allowed to drop down to 15c or so and its dark the tort should settle and not wake untill the lights go on in the morning, it shouldn't be prowling around all night.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #43
yuna1971
Adult

Thanks Ann. Lily (as far as I know) is fast asleep at night, I check before I go to bed and he is flat out. In the morning, I cant see any evidence that he has been active in the night. However, this is best guesswork - based on what I have seen. The room is usually a nice 20degrees at approx midnight (I have seen this regularly). You would be surprised how the room (end of terrace) drops once the evening comes, and so I would imagine once the really cold time - say 2/3am - is around - I think it probably that it drops to 19/18degrees.
I am no expert on Med weather. I have only been to Turkey once, but on a summer night - I cant imagine their temperatures dropping to 15degrees. I didnt notice it very cold when I was there..IMO, I just cant see it being as steep a drop as weather here. I expect it could drop to those levels over here - not a shadow of a doubt - but there might be less chance of this if the room is a good ambient temp consistently throughout the day. As I am overwintering Lily, I think the way the temps are in the room, its a good thing. The heat is contained during the day. And not dropping to any worrying level overnight. I really appreciate your input on this. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 01-11-2010 at 08:32 AM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #44
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
the only reason I mentioned the temps was that it was mentioned that the tort is very active overnight, to me that suggested that the temps don't drop enough and the tort unable to sleep and is try to get away from the heat. Where ever you are in the world theres a drop at night and in some parts although its hot through the day it can get very cold at night, if the temps are allowed to drop down to 15c or so and its dark the tort should settle and not wake untill the lights go on in the morning, it shouldn't be prowling around all night.
Hi pussygalore (love that name) Horace is now upstairs at 14.53 where the themp is 24c. Horace is now not active overnight. He is a diffrent tort thanks to Rach. I expect Horace to go downstairs in a few hours and go into is very dark hide. Horace will now get up at 7.30pm when I turn his lights on and the TV! The temps do drop down in the night to around 20c.
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote