Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 20-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Sioblarghn
Egg

Default Overnight heating for outdoor enclosure

I have a Horsfield who is around 10 years old. He’s always been brought in overnight, had a basking lamp on in the morning before being taken to his outdoor run. This has been the setup pending getting electrics outside, which we’ve now finally done.

We’ve got a small rabbit hutch, and I’ve insulated the sleeping area with foam boards and reflective bubble wrap and have fitted a 50w Komodo moonlight bulb inside. The guy at the reptile supplies shop advised I’d not need a thermostat as the bulb wouldn’t give out enough heat to warrant it.

The problem is, inside his sleeping area is TOO warm! The air temp outside is supposed to drop to about 10 degrees Celsius outside, so should the insulated sleeping area be enough to keep him warm enough overnight? I’m thinking I may need to take out the sleeping area partition to open up the space a little.

My other question, I’m wanting to put a basking light in for cooler days, can I use a standard light bulb which is on a timer to come on along with the ceramic heat night bulb? Or would I need another heat emitting daytime basking bulb? He’ll have access to his run to access natural daylight/shaded areas as he pleases but as the hutch has a roof I’m worried he’ll not realise it’s daytime.
Sioblarghn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

As you have one of the hardiest tortoises unless you are going to keep him out all year he does not need any heating what so ever this time of year and can stay out all night he will be fine.
As for a basking light forget that too even on the cooler days he will be fine maybe not as active but don't worry he will soon get used to it and he will do better for it in the long run.
I have seen mine sleep out and wake up fine even when there is a frost
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

I agree with Gordon, horsfields can stand very low temperatures, much lower than med torts. Meds are fine for temps down to around 5c then they would tend to go into hibernation mode:0) They need no extra heat when outside from around May until the threat of frost in the Autumn.
I keep ibera and they are outside 24/7 with no extra heat from April until the threat of frost ( I live in the SE so temps are a little higher than most areas). And I have done for the last 36yrs.
As long as they have housing they will be fine. If you can regulate the heat on a timer, you could have it on for a couple of hours in the morning (so you can feel happier:0) ) so he warms up thats fine, provided you switch it off again:0)
Once you realise they can survive on much lower temps you can turn off all heat through the Summer months. If we have a cold spell of a week, just turn it back on again for a few hours. Its all common sense really, if you think of the wild, they get up bask and warm through, then they eat, then bask again. Midday they tend to hide then come out again later on in the afternoon when temps drop a little:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Sioblarghn
Egg

Thank you both for your replies. I’ve been delaying moving him outside 24/7 for so long thinking he needs extra heating! He’s been out for a few days now (with the moonlight bulb on) and he’s been a little inactive, except one nice warm day but I suppose that’s to be expected as he’s lived indoor with artificial light for so long. I’ll give him some time and try not to mess about with him too much and see if his natural behaviour comes out.

Very nearly finished with his whole outdoor house, the hutch has a morning basking light in and just need to cut him a little doorway into the run now, so really he should be able to come and go as he pleases and I’ll be able to observe what he does and just go with it. For my own peace of mind, is there a minimum night temp and day temp I can be aware of and monitor? Or shall I just stop fretting??
Sioblarghn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

ooh I love moonlights but yes save your bill. He wont appreciate it either as Horsfields dig down into nice warm earth. Feel his shell at night its like a little radiator! CB

Tags
heating outside, outdoor enclosure