Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 21-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
vikki
Hatched

Default Are flowers "fattening"?!

Does anyone know if flowers are more likely to make a tortoise put on weight than "normal" weeds - I still have a glut of lavetera and cosmos so have been using it alot mixed with some weeds but my two tortoises seem to be putting on a lot of weight. I know most people on here don't worry too much about weight but as I have decided to over-winter both of them I really don't want excessive growth for the next 12 months. should I cut out the flowers (even though they are such a handy food source) or cut down the amounts I am feeding. I am slowly getting them both to eat a bit of pre alpin on its own and mixed with the food so should I try and increase this. I still have a reasonable supply of weeds growing in their outdoor areas but obviously this will not last much longer. I know lettuce is often refered to as "junk food" but nutritionally would it be less likely to put on weight (as it is predominantly water)? Just wondering in case I need to resort to it over the winter time depending on weather etc. (I saw something saying we could have a white Christmas this year but they seem to say that most years!!) Thanks
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

There is a thread on here about the nutritional values. I think you will find it is marginal, like eating a feast ice cream compared to a magnum. Although with my piggy Horsfields I do occasionally drop an iceberg in as 1) they love it 2) its mainly water and as you say doesn't add the weight. Personally I think you would see if they are growing too fast, and remember that most of us feed our tortoises 300% more than what they would get in the wild ! (from TT web I think or other). CB
Old 22-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
Does anyone know if flowers are more likely to make a tortoise put on weight than "normal" weeds - I still have a glut of lavetera and cosmos so have been using it alot mixed with some weeds but my two tortoises seem to be putting on a lot of weight. I know most people on here don't worry too much about weight but as I have decided to over-winter both of them I really don't want excessive growth for the next 12 months. should I cut out the flowers (even though they are such a handy food source) or cut down the amounts I am feeding. I am slowly getting them both to eat a bit of pre alpin on its own and mixed with the food so should I try and increase this. I still have a reasonable supply of weeds growing in their outdoor areas but obviously this will not last much longer. I know lettuce is often refered to as "junk food" but nutritionally would it be less likely to put on weight (as it is predominantly water)? Just wondering in case I need to resort to it over the winter time depending on weather etc. (I saw something saying we could have a white Christmas this year but they seem to say that most years!!) Thanks

Normal growth is around 2-3grms a month as a guide. So if they put on more during the Winter months then they are growing to fast.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
vikki
Hatched

That is my worry as they are sometimes gaining that in a week
Should I just cut the food right down/change the diet/lower the temps?
As you might remember Daisy was already quite pyramided when I got her so don't want things getting even worse and Herbie I think is showing growth lines (although they are black not white so would they still be growth lines?)
All ideas gratefully received.
Old 22-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
As you might remember Daisy was already quite pyramided when I got her so don't want things getting even worse and Herbie I think is showing growth lines (although they are black not white so would they still be growth lines?)
Vikki im not too sure you should worry too much, I didn't see massive pyramiding with Daisy post you having her. elenors weight over the months has more than doubled and definitely more than 2-3 grammes , she was 60 grammes, now 140 in less than a year and I am not worried about her growth lines. she looks and acts v healthy and eats like a horse, CB x
Old 22-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Weighing tortoises too often can give you a false idea of their actual weight.
One poo can reduce their weight dramatically.
Hence only weigh once a month to get a far better idea of their weight. You can if you keep a record of said weight you can see a regular pattern forming.
You should not be able to see any growth lines of any colour:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
vikki ive posted a picky of Elenor today under picky threads !! you will see she is showered with weeds!
Old 22-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #8
vikki
Hatched

Thank you - she looks great. Here is a picture of Daisy - it doesn't show so much on the photos but she is quite "bobbly"! My main concern isn't cosmetic but the underlying problems that can occur

Old 22-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

My opinion is that a lot of lumpy tortoises are in really good health but their environment including humidity and diet has not been ideal for that individual.

I'm choosing my words carefully there. Especially the bit about 'that individual'. My tortoises get provided with more or less the same regime and environment but are very variable in their smoothness. Why is this? I think it's just individual differences including genetic ones. Some are more active and use up more energy charging around - boys mainly. Others might put themselves into different microclimates even in the same enclosure, leading to different humidity around them - especially at night.

But it shouldn't be difficult to restrict feeding if that's what you decide is necessary. Just provide less food less often, use very low protein foods and even feed stuff that Daisy isn't very keen on. Won't eat Pre Alpin? Offer nothing else. Believe me she will start to eat it after a while. And the chances of starving herself to the point of any harm taking place are zero unless she has some underlying health problem.
Old 22-10-2015, 11:12 PM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Sorry I ignored the original question. Are flowers more calorific than leaves? I don't think so and I've not seen anyone say that's the case.