Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 05-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
yuna1971
Adult

I'm confused here...

Lynn, if you have a combined bulb, ie a Solar Glo then as Al says it must be pointing vertically downwards. Not sure but don't clamp lamps suspend the bulb and point more inwards - as in angled? I have 2 clamp brackets and I have never managed to be able to fix so that they hang the bulb so that the light is vertically downwards facing.
I cannot see, if using a combined bulb - that the clamp holder is the right thing.
....Unless, I'm reading wrong and it's just a compact UV bulb you have.
Maybe it's just me but even twisting and adjusting and rooting tooting... I couldn't get the clamps I have to point face down.
Al, did you tell me once you did? Or have I skim read some of the point here?? xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
yuna1971
Adult

If that's a link ( which I can't bring up as on my iPhone) to a medium lampstand, I don't think that extends to the heights you might need.
Bit blind here as can't view that, but I have the large, which think is the only one that extends high enough.xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
I'm confused here...

Lynn, if you have a combined bulb, ie a Solar Glo then as Al says it must be pointing vertically downwards. Not sure but don't clamp lamps suspend the bulb and point more inwards - as in angled? I have 2 clamp brackets and I have never managed to be able to fix so that they hang the bulb so that the light is vertically downwards facing.
I cannot see, if using a combined bulb - that the clamp holder is the right thing.
....Unless, I'm reading wrong and it's just a compact UV bulb you have.
Maybe it's just me but even twisting and adjusting and rooting tooting... I couldn't get the clamps I have to point face down.
Al, did you tell me once you did? Or have I skim read some of the point here?? xx
it's very difficult to get them to be vertical right enough, I reckon apart from ruining the bulb it could damage a tort's eyes. She hasn't been using the clamp though

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
If that's a link ( which I can't bring up as on my iPhone) to a medium lampstand, I don't think that extends to the heights you might need.
Bit blind here as can't view that, but I have the large, which think is the only one that extends high enough.xx
the link is to the standard one rach, there's only two, small and standard.. don't know why it's not just called large to avoid confusion
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
yuna1971
Adult

Stand and deep dome, like a Komodo one or the ZooMed, probably would work better.
I never have liked that screw bit on the clamps either, the bit that pivots ....xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

My lamp shades are exto terra glo light and come with both a clamp and a hanger. I once got a zoo med shade and it only came with a clamp and no hanger, a bit hopeless when the stand is made by them. it's not like it was just missing either, they don't come with a hanger and there's nowhere to fit them

it wasn't a deep dome though
Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
burnt toast
Adult

To be honest id never been advised to check basking temps. I just understood that you had the bulb 12" above tort shell (a 100w combined) & that would be ok. I have always checked the room/cool end temperature but only if ive had a problem or changed tables thought to measure basking temps!

I manage to get mine vertical but sometimes takes a lot of fiddling. I have one of those grey tray tort tables, dont know if they might be called sky? the type with a cage under & metal frame above & have attached the lamp for that table & used the frame to attach the lamp for the neighbouring table to.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

the height (no closer than 12" if it says 12") is for UV damage to the eyes mainly, it's the temperature on the basking spot that you really need to go by, that determines the torts' activity
Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
burnt toast
Adult

Realise that now but at the time just went by what id been told & as torts were active never crossed my mind to check - shows how nieve you can be.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burno View Post
Realise that now but at the time just went by what id been told & as torts were active never crossed my mind to check - shows how nieve you can be.
I had the clamp lamp to start with too and had it at an angle, I did that for about a week before I spotted it in the bulb instructions