Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 26-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
DoodleBopper
Hatchling

Question Musk/Mud turtles

Which of the 2 are the easiest to keep? Also what sized aquarium would a baby musk turtle need? The babies I saw were tiny tiny so I doubt they need a huge one? Thanks
Old 26-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Geomyda
Adult

North American Musk and Mud Turtles are a relatively small species of Turtle, which are best described as "bottom walkers" rather than swimmers. Baby turtles from these species should really be kept in shallow water, and frankly they do not need a large aquarium. However, to maintain water quality as shallow water is difficult to filter efficiently, regular water change should be undertaken.
These turtles like a very well planted aquarium which provide lots of cover, Basking area can be a suitable platform just below the water surface, if necessary.
There is a good article in this months Practical Reptile Keeping, and in the last Tortoise Trust Newsletter, specifically on these species.
Once established, these are amongst the best pet species to keep in captivity, and I am pleased to say, they do not generally outgrow the suitable home aquarium, so you can be confident of a potentially long and happy relationship with them.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
DoodleBopper
Hatchling

What kind of lightsdo they need?
Would an 18"x10"x10" aquarium be big enough? About 30 litres?
Also what kind of water do they need to be in? So i guess basically what i'm asking, is what is the basic set up for them?
Old 26-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Kirkie
Adult

You would be better off getting a setup to suit them at adult size straight off otherwise you'll have to upgrade at some point. I think 18x10x10 is too small.

Have a look at this caresheet co authoured by Geomyda:
http://www.terrapintank.co.uk/bottomwalkers.php

If you want to see what the adults look like, size wise, these are Razorback Musks

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/wor...tum/index.html
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
DoodleBopper
Hatchling

How long do they take to get fully sized? As i've said the ones in the reptile shop are probably 3cm? Very small, how long would it take them to grow out of the tank i've said?
Old 27-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
Kirkie
Adult

Hi Beth,

I've just read Mark Webbs article on these turtles in the TT newsletter. He does in fact keep hatchlings in smaller homes. He is talking of hatchlings the size "of a thumbnail" though and for the first 6 to 12 months from hatching. His recommendation for adult housing is:

24" long x 15" wide for a single adult. 36 to 48" long x 18" wide for a pair or trio of adults. If you were to go for this size for the hatchlings straight off , he's says to keep the water very shallow. One benefit of a larger aquaium is that a filter can be incorporated.

Last edited by Kirkie; 27-08-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 27-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Kirkie
Adult

On the lighting front, he uses a low wattage desk lamp, I assume with a normal bulb (it doesn't say!) positioned over a piece of floating cork bark giving a basking spot temp of 28-32 degrees C. Water temperature of 20-23 C for stinkpots 23-25 for Razorbacks and loggerheads. Obtained either by a warm room , a small aquarium heater (Nano by Neowattino are recommended) or a heat mat with thermostat under no more than one third of the tank.

I think an important point made in the article is the provision of commercial turtle pellets such as Tetra Reptomin or Sera Raffy P pellets as these include essential vitamins, minerals, calcium and D3.