Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 04-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Mummy_Bob
Egg

Default Shell rot or mineral deposits?

I am sorry that my first post has to be one looking for advice but hopefully someone can help me.
I have been keeping turtles for over a year now and my partner and I have really fallen in love with them. We have taken on quite a few rehomes and we have done a LOT of research into these guys but I have grown worried over the past week.
I have noticed white markings on one turtles shell and I am worried it may be shell rot(I am a worrier)
I can't work out how he would have got shell rot as they are kept in very adequate conditions - however we have recently had to seperate one that was being aggressive and was nipping at the others however I never noticed any open wounds or they would have been treated.
He has access to a large cork bark basking area with a 10.0 UV tube (I plan to replace with a compact) and a basking light. Temps are 31/32C and the water temp is about 21/22C. He is about 3years old I reckon - although not certain as he was a rehome.
His shell is hard, there is no smell coming from him, he is active and eating and basking, the white stuff seems hard - not pus-y or weeping.
The only recent change to the tank was a new external filter.
I have included a picture and all replies are welcome.
If it is shell rot I want to get it treated as soon as possible.
Like I say I have done a fair bit of research and it seems more likely to be mineral deposits than shell rot but I am a worrier when it comes to my animals well-being and I would like the advice of someone with more experience.
Thanks.
Mummy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Geomyda
Adult

Looks like a problem relating to shield retention. These outer layers of the shield cuticle are normally sloughed off whilst the animal is growing, This is quite normal and needs to be encouraged. The best way to achieve this is too give the Turtle access to an outdoor enclosure, where it can bask in natural sunlight. As it basks in the drying rays of the sun, these old shield cuticles will lift off, and new healthy growth which is coloured beautifully appears like new skin.
In the home aquarium, this drying process is much more difficult to achieve. The white marks are usually air bubbles which form in the layer between old and new shield, but it will harbour fungal growth that may lead to shell rot, if not sloughed off correctly.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Mummy_Bob
Egg

Hmm. Is there anything you could recommend to encourage them to shed indoors? Like I say they have high output UV and lamp, and a large basking area.
Would a compact help any?
Also it was recommended to me to use koi pellets - with wheatgrem to help aid shedding.
What do you think of that?
Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Geomyda
Adult

All you are doing and giving them is fine, but I am afraid there is no real substitute for good quality spring sunshine. Even if only for a few hours, it does make a huge difference.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Mummy_Bob
Egg

Ok, thanks.
I have a balcony that gets the sun all day (when we get it) so if I had a deep tub with some water would it be worth letting them out for a few hours?
Should I give them just a little water to encourage basking?
The problem is I have a baby who is only a year and a bit so I can't really be out there watching them.
I could make something with a wire top...to stop them escaping or any predators getting in...
I am rambling a bit - sorry.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

is anything being used on the shells as some sections look like something is stuck underneath.

Dawn
Dawn Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Mummy_Bob
Egg

No, nothing at all is being used on them.