Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 28-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #11
liverpoolfanusa
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
Hi,
Nope your not the only one with Chaco tortoises. Here is my group http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ighlight=chaco
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ighlight=chaco
Mine aren't very picky as to what they eat though. What is your set-up like for Taco?

Danny
Hi Dan, I believe you also post on Tortoiseforum.org. Thanks for the links; your Chacos have beautiful, healthy shells! Why are they your favorite tortoises? Taco is very responsive to my sweet talking and kisses and will stretch her neck out so I can rub it with my nose. She seems very deliberate and cautious in her movements, but has gotten more adventurous as she has had more space to explore. I'd love some info on what yours eat, what size indoor and outdoor enclosures you use, and especially their care and habits during winter months. Thanks a ton
Old 28-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
liverpoolfanusa
Egg

Here are some pictures of Taco's indoor and outdoor enclosures:
This is the 36'x24' tortoise house she stays in at night:

This is our outdoor enclosure:
Looking across the enclosure from the low end:

Side view of lower half:

Side view of upper half (you can see the board that covers Taco's half-crate, hay-filled shelter:
Old 29-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
Lolly8
Adult

Beautiful tortoise!
Old 29-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
boost-boy74
Incubating

very nice - tortoise with nail polish whatever next lol
0.0.3 sulcata
1.1.0 bosc monitor lizard
4.8.x leos
0.0.1 corn snake - 0.0.1 royal python coming soon
boost-boy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Star
Sub Adult

Hi Liverpoolfanusa,

Your outdoor enclosure looks lovely your tortoise sounds like it has a wonderful character and a lot of fun

Just me being inquisitive, could someone tell me why the shell is sloping inwards at the middle point?

What can be done to improve things apart for the obvious.
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #16
liverpoolfanusa
Egg

Thanks; we were lucky to have this landscape feature already in place, but with its high timbered sides it got redesignated to be Taco's enclosure. All it needed was some trimming and tidying, plus a few added accessories!

Taco's shell is deformed from living in a ten gallon fish tank (except for summers in our 6'x6' sandbox), for the first three years of her life. My daughter thought she was a turtle, and none of us bothered to look it up. Taco was fed only Romaine lettuce (which has very little nutritional value), no calcium, had limited exposure to sunlight and little interaction with humans or other creatures.

My daughter was home from college this summer, and I was out working in my gardens, when I thought I might take the "turtle" out its sandbox and let it run around in the grass for awhile. When I set her down, she looked around her hunched body for a few moments, then suddenly her head came way out and her legs (so long!) extended fully and she strode away across the lawn like she owned the place. I realized in that very moment that this was a creature that was NOT designed for a small cage. After doing research on the internet, I felt so guilty that we had been basically torturing and neglecting this poor tortoise for three years. I resolved to make it up to her as best I could by adopting her as mine and dedicating myself to improving every aspect of her life from now on. Unfortunately, I cannot undo the deformed gowth of her shell resulting from inadequate diet and generally poor care that she endured her first three years. I still feel awful about it every time I look at her pyramided, leaning shell.
Old 30-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #17
Star
Sub Adult

Wow, how very honest...

I think your position is one many have experienced, miss information from pet-shops and such, can lead to the wrong type of care giving (even tortoise books, designed to help tortoise owners, offer bad advice), I know that when I got my first two tortoises, I was told a viv would be perfect for years to come, that broccoli and peppers with carrots and all sorts of odd things, were what they should be given......I learned over time what was right and that what I was doing was not in my tortoises best interest.
Everyone can clearly see your love for your tortoise is huge and the level of care she has now, is amazing

I asked the question because I have a re-homed tortoise, which has a deformed shell, not so much pyramiding, but she is very small for her age, her shell is very flat and slopped.....since I have had her, I have tried to think about different situation where shell deformities occur, so forgive me I was being over inquisitive.

Your situation is an inspiration, you haven't given up on your beautiful Taco and your doing what you can to improve things which shows great commitment and a large amount of love...other people will learn from your experience and see that progress can be achieved

She looks beautiful and happy........... and as she grows her shell will improve

I wish you both all the luck in the world

x
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #18
liverpoolfanusa
Egg

Thanks for the kind words. I still have a long way to go, but at least I am on the right path now.

I really liked what you said about getting to know what works and what doesn't [I]over time.[I] I am beginning to understand, from reading tons of posts from different tortoise keepers, that proper care for these creatures really is a continuing project, with a lot of trial and error involved. I think my sense of urgency to learn a lot fast comes from knowing that we already blew it those first three years, so it is imperative to get Taco on the right track to good health and long life.

Thank goodness for these forums. There are lots of advice and experience here.