Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 27-08-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
liverpoolfanusa
Egg

Red face Is my Taco the only Chaco in the forum world?

Hi all, I am new to this forum but belong to Tortoiseforum.org in the U.S. I have a 3-year-old Chaco tortoise from Argentina. Due to ignorance, we did not feed or care for her properly (she actually "belonged" to one of my daughters) until this summer, so she has serious pyramiding on her carapace scutes.

I wish I could fine someone else who owns a Chaco so I can get information on that specific breed. I now have her in an outdoor pen most of the time, as we live in sunny Colorado, but bring her in to her tortoise house (36"x24", with hide) at night.

She is a funny little critter and gets a wild hare from time to time and will walk the perimeter of our entire yard, exploring every tree, shrub and brick.

She is an extremely picky eater. We no longer give her the Romaine lettuce that was her sole food for her first three years. I have offered (and she has repeatedly refused to touch): clover, mallow, dandelion, pansies, petunias, moss roses, thistles, geranium, parsnip, broccoli, mustard greens, banana, and apples (peeled, cored and cut into small pieces). She WILL eat endive, grapes and watermelon, and her favorite food grows in my neighbor's garden: a common weed called Euphobia Maculata. Yes, it was on the "poisonous plant list" on this forum, but if it is poisonous to Taco I think she would have gotten sick by now, and she's been eating it voraciously since I became her keeper two months ago. I'd love to feed her something else, and I try new things every day, most recently "spring mix" salad leaves from the grocery store. Even those she only picks at and often ignores.

Sorry this is so long; I will try to post some pictures and would appreciate the input of people on this forum, especially if anyone out there also has a Chaco and knows how to accommodate their idiosyncracies.

Taco in the garden

Here you can see how severely her shell is pyamiding

Taco enjoying her watermelon
Old 27-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
liverpoolfanusa
Egg

Great! I hope he sees this post.
Old 27-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

what a gorgeous tortoise
Old 27-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi,
Nope your not the only one with Chaco tortoises. Here is my group http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ighlight=chaco
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ighlight=chaco
Mine aren't very picky as to what they eat though. What is your set-up like for Taco?

Danny
Old 27-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
jayne2942
Hatchling

Hi,
what a beautiful tortoise you have!
pond fish
4 baby horsfield hatchlings
jayne2942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
anna m
Adult

Is that their colour?
Amazing looking creatures
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

Drop me an email if you are interested in an article I wrote on these guys. They are my favorite. epirog@comcast.net

You might want to keep your eyes open. There is a guy in Florida who is bringing them in and says they are from Argentina. He is selling them at a very good price.

(did you pick up any of those danny? There were some amazing animals but I don't think they were from Argentina).

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpoolfanusa View Post
Hi all, I am new to this forum but belong to Tortoiseforum.org in the U.S. I have a 3-year-old Chaco tortoise from Argentina. Due to ignorance, we did not feed or care for her properly (she actually "belonged" to one of my daughters) until this summer, so she has serious pyramiding on her carapace scutes.

I wish I could fine someone else who owns a Chaco so I can get information on that specific breed. I now have her in an outdoor pen most of the time, as we live in sunny Colorado, but bring her in to her tortoise house (36"x24", with hide) at night.

She is a funny little critter and gets a wild hare from time to time and will walk the perimeter of our entire yard, exploring every tree, shrub and brick.

She is an extremely picky eater. We no longer give her the Romaine lettuce that was her sole food for her first three years. I have offered (and she has repeatedly refused to touch): clover, mallow, dandelion, pansies, petunias, moss roses, thistles, geranium, parsnip, broccoli, mustard greens, banana, and apples (peeled, cored and cut into small pieces). She WILL eat endive, grapes and watermelon, and her favorite food grows in my neighbor's garden: a common weed called Euphobia Maculata. Yes, it was on the "poisonous plant list" on this forum, but if it is poisonous to Taco I think she would have gotten sick by now, and she's been eating it voraciously since I became her keeper two months ago. I'd love to feed her something else, and I try new things every day, most recently "spring mix" salad leaves from the grocery store. Even those she only picks at and often ignores.

Sorry this is so long; I will try to post some pictures and would appreciate the input of people on this forum, especially if anyone out there also has a Chaco and knows how to accommodate their idiosyncracies.

Taco in the garden

Here you can see how severely her shell is pyamiding

Taco enjoying her watermelon
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

No I didn't get any as they didn't look good to me. He won't though be at the expo next year. Not sure where they are from, but it's possible they are from Argentina.

Danny
Old 28-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
EJ
Adult

Last time I looked Argentina had a zero quota. All those that have come through in the last 10 years have been out of Paraguay. Those that he had looked like the ones out of Paraguay (I personally think they are the same animal... but that's another discussion). He supposedly has a 20 acre farm in Argentina that is run by his partner. He said he was bringing in some next month... want some contact info.

He sold most of the good ones before the show opened. Russ Gurley and Jerry Fife picked up some beautiful females... $250 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
No I didn't get any as they didn't look good to me. He won't though be at the expo next year. Not sure where they are from, but it's possible they are from Argentina.

Danny
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #10
liverpoolfanusa
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna m View Post
Is that their colour?
Amazing looking creatures
Hi Anna,
The color you see on Taco is actually nail polish that I put on her to find her when she disappears among the foliage in the gardens and yard, so we don't spend hours looking for her. I didn't know it was bad for tortoises to paint their shells so I will let the polish wear away.