Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Alistair&Robyn
Hatched

Default I'm sorry but I do need to ask...

I'm going to apologise in advance for this, I don't wanna start an all-out debate but I would appreciate some advice =)

Given that it is going to be winter soon and it's going to become increasingly difficult to find weeds in big enough volumes to feed our red foots every day, we're considering using pellets 2-3 times per week.

If we were to try them on pellets, which would you recommend?

I've just gone through all the previous posts that I can find about giving pellets to reds, but I'm still confused and not entirely sure that I will give them pellets, but I want to be prepared if it's something we have to do.

Any advice really will be appreciated!
Alistair&Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

When we got our Reds, we were given some of the Mazuri, but unfortunately you can't get that here. Now we give the dried cat biscuit (soaked and softened in warm water) once every 7 to 10 days. We also give a boiled egg about once a month, and some chestnut mushrooms now and then. Luckily with Reds they do love fruit, and ours also pick out the red bits in the florette crispy salad.

I tried another pellet, a large brown one, Nutrazoo, but they didn't like them much.

Last winter we planted up trays of weeds, they didn't do too well on the window ledges, but this year I hope to do much better with the aid of 2 x heated propagators.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
kellybibby
Incubating

if you are thinking of planting seeds inside over winter the ones from the shelled warriors shop are great
0.2.0 Yellow Bellied Slider Turtles, Alvin and Simon
0.0.1 African Grey, Jack
kellybibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Alistair&Robyn
Hatched

I am going to get some seeds and try out growing them, but given that we've amassed another 3 redfoots, so we have 6 in total, I just want to make sure that they're getting all the nutrition they need through winter. Luckily ours love fruit as well, but I'm keen to make sure they get everything they need.
Alistair&Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Sally_liz
Incubating

Hi,

I give my hermanns pellets 2-3 times per week soaked in water. I know it's not always recommended, but I find it helps with the hydration. You may need to keep an eye on their beak and make sure it doesn't grow too long if you're not gonna give the pellets on a slate. I have a selection of different makes of pellets I have tried, but I always go back to T-Rex.
Sally_liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Kirkie
Adult

The Pretty Pets pellet range has been recommended by several Red Foot keepers on here.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Last year i stopping feeding cat biscuits to my reds resulting in hardly any eggs being fertile
This year i will start feeding cat biscuits twise a week (thanks to dans advice x)
I give my reds in the winter a mixture of 40% fruit 60% greens- cos lettuce, lettuce bags, spring greens.
Plus as treats mushrooms, pellets komodo range.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Since we are on the subject, feeding pellets, anyone have a routine amount per feed, depending on size of tort's. I have some for my leopard, Trex for winter use.
Paul
Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
blackcat38
Egg

I use zoo med forest tortoise food, especially formulated for reds, yellow, elongated
http://www.reptile-food-direct.co.uk...oise_Food.html

for protein I use chicken, prawns, white of egg with shell (love the shell lol) any type of fish, and feed once a week

regarding amount I guess! I feed one day protein, one day fruit, one day veg (pepper, squash, sweet potato, mushroom ect) and 4 days weeds. I put enough down so they walk away leaving some, seem to be getting smooth shells, so I do the same with the pellets, not sure if it'll be the same for leopards.
blackcat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
blackcat38
Egg

I've been reading into igs and found their diets to be similar to reds regarding the types of fruits and greens they eat. I've found these sites really good for nutritional content and gives you ides to widen the diet
http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm

http://www.iguanaden.org/diet/calphosveg.htm this has both fruit and veg Ca:P ratios

And this one just opens your eyes to how many different things they can eat, I bet there's loads in the garden but you just didn't know lol
http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm
blackcat38 is offline   Reply With Quote