Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 09-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
EJ
Adult

A little note... the only uniqueness about the tortoise pictured is that it is probably a cross between a north and a south race Leopard tortoise. This can be either a natural cross or captive cross. This can be determined by the lone single spot that is not attached to the border on the scutes.

Also the coloration is mainly deterimined buy environmental conditions and diet. Genetics does play a part... but a minor one. Note the period in time of growth on the shell where the color came in black.

What's interesting is that the light color is usually associated with warm temperatures but that usually smooths out the tendency to pyramid...
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
Upsidedownsquirrel
Egg

Thank you all for saying such nice things!!! I got him - I think he's a he due to the V shape under tail, from a breeder who had 6 females from same clutch but Stig only male which was his reason for getting rid. (all incubated for females but i guess theres always one!) Other all looked normal shell wise i.e not sort of sliced in half although they were all pale ish! I didn't see parents tho! My temps are 22-24 cool end and 34-36 under basking - I did have a problem with it being too warm in begining and Stig staying down the cooler end but he seems happier now with this bulb and will actually bask and not sulk under his hideyhole! Thank you all again for lovely comments about him. Amy + Stig
Upsidedownsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
miss_elle
Incubating

sorry but i gotta say.. as soon as i saw his shell i went "mmm white chocolate" and went to get a milkybar lol.

anywhoooo... he looks lovely! giving you "the eye" in the second pic lol
miss_elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
gazinbrid
Hatched

i had trouble getting my stars to eat grass someone recomended cutting small and mixing with food it seemed to work, i planted mixed grass from sw and they enjoy that more than lawn grass i also let some grow long and cut for bedding they burrow under it but often go in and out eating it
gazinbrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
abee_fell_
Hatched

Oh my goodness, your tortoise is gorgeous, definatley need to free up some space at home for a leopard!! x
abee_fell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #16
liverpoolfanusa
Egg

Hi Amy,
What a great photo of Stig--you can see his personality looking out at the camera! His shell is definitely pyramided like my Taco's; most of the experts on tortoise forums seem to agree that it is caused by improper diet and lack of humidity when the tortoise is young and growing fast; pyramiding cannnot be fixed but forum folks said it shouldn't be too much of a handicap. It doesn't seem possible that Stig was getting insufficient humidity in England if he was being kept in a viv, though. I wonder what the tortoise experts on this forum think about Stig's pyramided shell?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
Upsidedownsquirrel
Egg

Thank you all for your lovely words, Stig is just fabulous and he's a right grump but totally worth it! Thank you all again. On another note i'm seeing a little bit if new growth which seems to be various colours very pale, to pink to black! I'm charting his progress in photos which pleases Stig no end - I can almost see him roll his eyes! Amy & Stig
Upsidedownsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote