Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Upsidedownsquirrel
Egg

Default Hello I'm new! just a quick one

Just thought i'd say hi, I've owned my Leopard tort for a whole month plus a couple of days now and I think he's fab although he seems to be a bit of a grump. Stig's 3 years old and been kept in a viv- until I got him and then tort table all the way, my question is I've got him eating weeds and grass at the mo 50-50 (but better than lettuce and carrot previously fed) but if I give him more grass he tramples it into the soil or buries himself in to it. Im wondering if i cut it up smaller would he eat more or is this bad? Keep horses cut grass isn't good for them! just think it might be the same for Stig but advice would be apprecieted. will try to post pics when i've figured out how - shell is a little lumpy but some of the pieces of it (scutes?) seem twisted and spilt up the middle can only assume was born this way?? Anyway so much for quick one, but thanks for helping out.

Amy and Stig-mo-chiles
Upsidedownsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Amy, if you post pics it will help any of the experts to see how Stig's shell is. i'm afraid my knowledge of Leos is limited so can't help you with the diet questions, but there are some great Leo keepers on here who will be able to offer advise
Old 07-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
anna m
Adult

Hello and welcome
If you mean Readigrass then this is ok as far as I know
But my knowledge of Leo's is non existant but others here can help more
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Amy if Stig is eating some grass after a bad diet, then this is good, grasses is a source of fibre and should make up at least 70% of a Leopard diet. Since he had a bit of a bad start i would feed more grass and Plantain, no wet greens for a while, with the odd flower head, use a pinch of supplements with all meals bath regualy, i think after a few weeks he will stablise, new surroundings can throw tort's out a bit. Is he indoors, if so on a nice day after a morning warm up, he can graze abit on just lawn grass. Is Stig's poo runny
Paul
Old 08-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
Lolly8
Adult

Hi and welcome!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Upsidedownsquirrel
Egg

I hope you can see these, Stig only seems to poo in his bath so hard to tell if runny but giving him plantain, dandies - hates the flowers, clover and grass i've pulled from my back garden and other weeds that i've got from my tort seeds. He's got a cuttlefish and limestone which he'll eat on weeds but hates the neutrobal, it smells funny to me so I don't know if it tastes a bit wierd cos Noah (my hermans) can't stand it either! Oh at the mo has a bath every morning. I'm hoping the pic of his shell came out cos i just worry that its overlapping in places and it just looks a little twisted. Thanks all for your help and hi again.

Amy + Stig-mo-chiles
Upsidedownsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Chopping the grass is a good idea, I chop it smaller when I feed ours in their table, it doesn't generally last too long either! To encourage him/her to eat more you could finely chop some tasty weeds or even a little bit of cucumber. (no nutritional value, but good in hot weather and tasty enough to encourage eating what it is mixed with)
Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
EJ
Adult

By any chance did that come from Richard Fife at Raparian farms?

What are the temperatures you are keeping the tortoise at.

You might want to look into some of the pelleted diets such as Mazuri, T-Rex, Monster and Pretty pets to supplement the diet you are feeding.

It is a nice looking tortoise although a little pyramided. That is why I asked about the temperatures.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
jimmystar
Egg

stig has a very unique coloring very blonde , is stig a male or female ? also my leo seems to only want to poop in bath these days used to poop everymorning now only when i give a bath so hope that is ok
jimmystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
julietaylorf
Incubating

Hi Amy and Stig
What a stunner you have.
Julie
julietaylorf is offline   Reply With Quote