Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 24-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Gisa Rieske
Egg

Default Redfoot tortoise shell

Hi,
Yesterday my 4 year old redfoot had her annual checkup at the vets. When I called for the appointment I found out that her regular vet was no longer at that office and they would not give me any information as to where he had moved to so I made an appointment with the vet who took his place.
According to the new vet Tigerlily, my redfoot is in good health, good weight, size, no worms or parasites, the shell is solid etc. The vet had only one concern which the previous vet never brought up, her shell. Unlike other redfoot tortys whose shell is really smooth, Tigerlily's has ridges, dimples in the front and white discolorations on the side. The vet really could not tell me if this was bad or anything but she was wondering if this was normal. I asked the previous vet about this several times but was told that this was nothing to worry about. Who is right? I thought maybe some of you who have a lot of experience with redfoots can help me out. I would be happy to provide any additional info to get to the bottom of this.
I would attach some picture but for the life of me I can not figure out how. I did read the instructions but can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 24-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
joanna
Adult

Hi, we would need a pic to see really. If you have some stored you can email to me and I'll post them here. joannargrs@yahoo.co.uk
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
joanna
Adult

Here are some of your pics, nothing wrong at all, you have a cherryhead - they start marbling like this as they grow.

Old 24-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Gisa Rieske
Egg

Thanks so much for your input. What a relief to know the marbling is OK. Whew!
Ridges are normal too?
Old 24-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
joanna
Adult

Yes all looks fine to me
Old 24-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
baybay
Incubating

I have had a cherry head for about 3 years now, and in those 3 years he has gone from no marbling to marbling between every single scute. Nothing to worry about, It just sets them apart from normal redfoots!

R.I.P Stewie you will be missed
baybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

Don't be too sure it's a her... It takes to about 7 inches to determine the sex.

Did you raise it from hatchling... if so that is fantastic development.

Has there been any changes in the husbandry in the last year?

The color is normal for the species/race (as others have said)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisa Rieske View Post
Hi,
Yesterday my 4 year old redfoot had her annual checkup at the vets. When I called for the appointment I found out that her regular vet was no longer at that office and they would not give me any information as to where he had moved to so I made an appointment with the vet who took his place.
According to the new vet Tigerlily, my redfoot is in good health, good weight, size, no worms or parasites, the shell is solid etc. The vet had only one concern which the previous vet never brought up, her shell. Unlike other redfoot tortys whose shell is really smooth, Tigerlily's has ridges, dimples in the front and white discolorations on the side. The vet really could not tell me if this was bad or anything but she was wondering if this was normal. I asked the previous vet about this several times but was told that this was nothing to worry about. Who is right? I thought maybe some of you who have a lot of experience with redfoots can help me out. I would be happy to provide any additional info to get to the bottom of this.
I would attach some picture but for the life of me I can not figure out how. I did read the instructions but can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
Gisa Rieske
Egg

Default Redfoot tortoise shell

The vet says its a girl and she is almost 6 1/2 inches long. We'll see.
I didn't raise her from hatchling. She was about a year old when I got her from a breeder. The breeder was very uncooperative as far as cluing me in on what her diet was. She also had parasites and worms. We had a rough start. Thanks to the forum and you guys I learned a lot about how to keep her properly. She now eats like a pig, has a steady weight gain and a clean bill of health. ...other than the marbling which the vet thought was odd. I am thinking about trying to track down my previous vet.
One thing though she has no front claws. She was born this way. Other than that she is perfect.
Old 29-07-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
EJ
Adult

Well... at 6.5 inches... too small to tell for sure.

Who was the breeder? I know of one person in Florida that is breeding Cherryheads... I'm in Georgia.

If the breeder was uncooperative... I suspect it was not the breeder.

I've seen the no front claws in other tortoises... no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisa Rieske View Post
The vet says its a girl and she is almost 6 1/2 inches long. We'll see.
I didn't raise her from hatchling. She was about a year old when I got her from a breeder. The breeder was very uncooperative as far as cluing me in on what her diet was. She also had parasites and worms. We had a rough start. Thanks to the forum and you guys I learned a lot about how to keep her properly. She now eats like a pig, has a steady weight gain and a clean bill of health. ...other than the marbling which the vet thought was odd. I am thinking about trying to track down my previous vet.
One thing though she has no front claws. She was born this way. Other than that she is perfect.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
Gisa Rieske
Egg

Well, I am not going to rename her, so she better stay a girl. I told her that too. I had to rename one of my turtles already from Friedrich to Friedrina.
Tigerlily came out of Georgia and no, my torty was not one of her hatchlings. As I found out later she only had her for a few months before selling her to me. She probably could not help me about what my torty liked because she has not had her long enough to get to know her. She told me she loves cherry tomatoes. I have yet to get her to even try one. She likes fruits, except cherry tomatoes. She inhales hibiscus, mushrooms and berries.
Since you have seen other tortoises without front claws IF she turns out to be a girl, will she have any problems digging holes to lay eggs? I am a little afraid she might not be able to dig a suitable hole to lay and then become egg bound. What do you think? Do I need to start a new thread with this?