Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 13-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Naturalee
Egg

Default mixed sex trio of related reds?

Hello everyone. I have 3 redfoots as some of you already know. These were all from the same breeder and so probably related. I'm pretty certain that they are one female and two males. My questions are:

Will I have problems with them breeding in the future if they are so closely related?

Also at around 7cm SCL am I likely to be correct about the sexes (two have quite obvious "waggy" tails and one has what can only be described as a stump)?

Any ideas, info, suggestions etc, will be greatly appreciated.
Naturalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Naturalee,

As far as the in-breeding goes, although not ideal for reasons of deformities etc.. if these animals were living in the wild it would not be an issue, which doesnt mean that breeding would be out of the question, there is just an obvious increased risk of deformed offspring.

Becasue you think you have 2 males and 1 female this is not too much of a problem asyou will need to consider getting a few more females unless you are going to house them in seperate quarters and introduce for for breeding purposes only.

If you port pics of their bits and pieces in the ID section I am pretty sure we might get a sex for all 3, or at least a good 2nd guess.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Naturalee
Egg

Cheers Ade. I'll have to have a think now!!! I guess I'll have to look into getting a couple more from a different breeder! Hmm! Don't wanna be having little deformed torts on my hands, I'd feel awful! Not sure how to get pics on here but I'll have a bash at it ASAP.
Old 14-07-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
linda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalee View Post
Cheers Ade. I'll have to have a think now!!! I guess I'll have to look into getting a couple more from a different breeder! Hmm! Don't wanna be having little deformed torts on my hands, I'd feel awful! Not sure how to get pics on here but I'll have a bash at it ASAP.
hi

if you still have problems posting pics
please send them to me
and i will put them up for you
waspslinda @hotmail.co.uk
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Naturalee,

This link might be very useful for uploading pics http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=18212

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Naturalee
Egg

cheers guys. I'll probably have a bash tomorrow as I'll be home from work earlier. If I have any probs I'll send them your way Linda!!!