Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Naturalee
Egg

Default Red foot housing advice please!!!

Hey guys! I have three reds. They are only around 6 -7 cm in length at the moment but I'm already thinking about how best to house them as they get bigger so I can plan in advance. I plan on building them a large table but I'm not sure which wood to use and how best to preserve it, baring in mind the humidity required.
If any of you are DIY boffins I would greatly appreciate suggestions on what materials would be best for safety and durability!
Cheers folks!
Lee
Naturalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
blackcat38
Egg

whilst I was at uni I had 3 bookcases on their backs lines with pondliner and that seemed to keep the wood dry. I've moved back to my mums now and will be building a better table with insulated sides and a lid to help with humidity, basically I'm replicating blazingtortoise's table cos it's really good
not sure what wood she used though....
blackcat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
Naturalee
Egg

Thanks for the reply, I never thought of pond liner. Hmmm!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I have 8 red foots, 3 are sub adults but still huge

I have a huge table that is lined with thick plastic, filled with top soil

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
tortilicious
Hatched

Default reds

Hi i have 5 reds 3 sub adults and 2 adults all girls and they live in a massive tortoise table mine isant lined as my nutty bunch kept getting underneath the liner but it is sealed with yacht varnish to protect the wood, this needs protecting as mine get sprayed three times a day with a jet spray on low to keep the humidity up
www.tortilicious.co.uk
tortilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
spiderbaitwebs
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to spiderbaitwebs Send a message via Yahoo to spiderbaitwebs
Default tortoise table materials

I find with builidng my own tongue and grove from B&Q is pretty good stuff its easy to saw has a nice finish is pre sanded and makes a mean tortoise table.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
spiderbaitwebs
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to spiderbaitwebs Send a message via Yahoo to spiderbaitwebs

I am getting a unbed plastic tub from ikea its enormouse nice deep sides and cheap £5, ikea also has some nice tortoise friendly houses and swiming and feeding bowls whole setup with cost me £20 then just need heating. and maybe a fogger?
Old 13-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Naturalee
Egg

Cheers guys. I can't believe I didn't think of lining it with plastic liner of some sort!!! I'm liking the idea of yacht varnish too. How big is this underbed jobby? I'll have to check that out I reckon sounds like a nice cheap option until they get bigger!