Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 25-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
daisy1234
Egg

Default Leopard growth Rate??? x

hi, just looking for some advise if possible. i have had my little leopard tortoise (monty) around 2months now. I was told he was around two years old when i had him. he seems very healthy, very active, hes fed on a diet of grass, weeds(from the sw shop), he also has cucumber and carrots in small amount as these are his fav. when we had him he was 8-9oz. he is now 11oz. i am led to believe this is too fast a grow rate. does anybody have any reccomendations on how to combat this. at present we just put his food in and he has a constant supply :s as he tends to pick at it all day rather than eating all in one go.
thanks
vickie, and Monty
daisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Could you maybe post some pictures up so we can see his shell growth? As long as its nice and smooth you shouldn't be worried.
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
daisy1234
Egg

i will try and post some tomorrow as have got none on my laptop just yet. he does have some pyramiding which he had when we had him. it doesnt appear to be getting any worse than it was then, i was just really concerned about the rapid weight gain. he was previously fed on fruit and such so now sure if that was part of why he has the pyrimiding. he seems absoloutly fine otherwise, i was just worried we were feeding him a bit too much. xx
daisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Burgers
Egg

My Leopard has some pyramiding but I think it’s natural for a leopard to have a bit of pyramiding (at least all the pictures I have seen of leopards have pyramiding to some degree) my vet wasn’t concerned either she said I was doing an excellent job
Old 04-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Leopards will grow quicker than some other species, they grow fairly slowly until they are about 4/5 years old then they get their growth spurt, thats when they virtually grow in front of you. If he/she was overfed, that would explain the weight, but it could be that he is actually older than the estimated 2 years of age.

Do you have any pictures?

With Leopards it is more the quality of the food, they need to be having approx 70-80% grasses, hays, plantains and the rest weeds and flowers. We have Readigrass available for them at all times in the table, outside they forage on the grasses in their enclosure. We supplement their diet with some weeds and flowers, but they rely on grazing on the different grasses for their main meal. Their enclosure contains very few weeds..............they ate them all!
We keep patches of the garden overgrown with grasses, so I can cut and feed on days when the weather is too wet or cold for them to go outside.

I think Sarah may sell bags of Readigrass in the SW shop, the HUGE bale bags they sell at the horsefeed stores will probably be too big for you.

Last edited by Laraine; 04-07-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Laraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Angie44
Egg

Hello everyone-this is my first post. We have a leopard tortoise who is about 6 years old now. He is fine and healthy, checked out recently by our vet, BUT he just will not eat the amount of grass he is supposed to. The only way we can get him to eat grass is to chop it up and hide it among the other stuff he prefers (watercress, some salad leaves, clover, etc). Any advice would be welcome-he won't graze on the grass when he's outside either.
Angie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie44 View Post
Hello everyone-this is my first post. We have a leopard tortoise who is about 6 years old now. He is fine and healthy, checked out recently by our vet, BUT he just will not eat the amount of grass he is supposed to. The only way we can get him to eat grass is to chop it up and hide it among the other stuff he prefers (watercress, some salad leaves, clover, etc). Any advice would be welcome-he won't graze on the grass when he's outside either.
hi im amazed yours wont graze.often they ignore longer grasses and weeds in preferance to close cut lawngrass.does yours have access to an area of lawn .all my tortoises eat grass readily not just the leopards.try to feed a high proportion of coarse weeds once they accept a lot of plantain in their diet it appears like only one more step towards eating grasses.
terry
Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Angie44
Egg

Thanks for your reply,Terry. Yes, we take him outside and he has access to a substantial area of lawn. Pardon my ignorance but what is plantain and can I grow it? He won't eat dandelion leaves either-are there other coarse weeds you could suggest? Also, can you advise about temperatures outside? We have only been taking him outside when it's over 70 degrees.
Apologies also-I think I've posted this question again as as part of another post-my error!
Angie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Burgers
Egg

My Leopard was very much the same when he was younger he wouldn’t graze, point blank would not eat weeds, turned his nose up at anything and everything that is good for him!

What I did was to slowly introduce the food he is supposed to eat and slowly take away the stuff he isn’t I did this over a period of about a month after this he got the message that there is nothing ells available and began to eat it. Now he loves to graze he eats all his weeds he is still very cautions of trying anything new but I think most tortoises are.

Plantain is a weed like plant grows close to the ground with medium sized leaves in a kind of oval ish shape. If you look at the edible plants and stuff displayed on this website it will show you pictures and stuff . .and yes you can grow it
Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Burgers
Egg

My Leopard was very much the same when he was younger he wouldn’t graze, point blank would not eat weeds, turned his nose up at anything and everything that is good for him!

What I did was to slowly introduce the food he is supposed to eat and slowly take away the stuff he isn’t I did this over a period of about a month after this he got the message that there is nothing ells available and began to eat it. Now he loves to graze he eats all his weeds he is still very cautions of trying anything new but I think most tortoises are.

Plantain is a weed like plant grows close to the ground with medium sized leaves in a kind of oval ish shape. If you look at the edible plants and stuff displayed on this website it will show you pictures and stuff . .and yes you can grow it