Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 27-05-2009, 03:13 AM   #11
Millerlite
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Excellent, are these really the Manoria emys phayrei, sub species?
Where were they bred?
Great looking youngsters, and so lucky too have them!!
Yup they are 100 percent manoria emys phayrei or black mountain tortoises. They were babies from vic morgan in flordia. They are very interesting tortoises. And fun to have, i hope in the future they will be a good group and they can help out this species by having successful clutches.

They are a tortoise, They are from asia and if you google burmese mountain tortoise, asian mountain tortoise, or anything of that matter you can find picture of adults. They will get anywhere from 18-25 inches, this subspecies is a little bigger then the browns. They kind of remind me of box turtles, there care is almost like box turtles. I will keep you guys updated, so far so good.

http://www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Millerlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerlite View Post
Yup they are 100 percent manoria emys phayrei or black mountain tortoises. They were babies from vic morgan in flordia. They are very interesting tortoises. And fun to have, i hope in the future they will be a good group and they can help out this species by having successful clutches.

They are a tortoise, They are from asia and if you google burmese mountain tortoise, asian mountain tortoise, or anything of that matter you can find picture of adults. They will get anywhere from 18-25 inches, this subspecies is a little bigger then the browns. They kind of remind me of box turtles, there care is almost like box turtles. I will keep you guys updated, so far so good.
Can you post pictures of the adults, and did they create their mound nest when the clutch was laid. Nesting behaviour in this species is of particular interest as I have read that females, show significant nest site defense, and will chase off potential nest predator?
As you say this species, gets larger than their cousins the Burmese Brown Tortoise (Manouria emys emys), which are being bred in collections here in the UK and Europe.
Please do keep us posted on the develpoment of these fascinating animals?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #13
Millerlite
Egg

I dont have any pictures of the adults, but i can ask vic, he might be able to send some. But they are known to protect the nest for a few days after they lay, and do build mounds instead of digging into the ground which is pretty cool. I will diffidently keep you guys posted, i will try and get pictures of there enclosure today.

Old 27-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #14
Vixen
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Vixen

They are lovely
Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #15
Millerlite
Egg

Thanks, they are awesome.

Old 28-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Millerlite
Egg

Here is my mountain tortoise enclosure, Nothing big pretty basic. The sides go into the ground 6 inches, there is a slope so the water goes down toward the pavers and drains. I put a few different plants in there so they can have shade, and i'm hoping the weeds start growing in so there can be more hides and less open. There are also 3 water dishes where they can choose to soak if they wanted. You can see the lid which is chicken wire has the mister and that keeps them nice and humid
This is the whole enclosure

This is the upper side of the slope where most of the main hides are (there are a bunch of hides through the enclosure)

This is the bottom of the slope where water collects then drains.

Kyle

Old 31-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #17
Millerlite
Egg

Here are some pictures from today, you can see the hosta and I transferred some weeds from the side yard in to add more shade but you can see its dying, lol.. But they might bounce back, if not i might just put something else in its place. Also still waiting for the natural grass and stuff to grow big, i can see it sprouting.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #18
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerlite View Post
I just got a few Black mt. tortoises last weeks, They are almost a year old, and about 3 inches big. They are eating great and doing well. here are a few pictures

The blue dots are suppose to be males, but who knows if they will be males, lol

Kyle
Can you post some pic's of the Plastron, for these little Tortoises, as it would be good to compare the differences to their Southern cousin, (Manouria emys emys)?
Thanks
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #19
Lolly8
Adult

Gorgeous tortoises!Great enclosure!
Old 17-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

What a wonderful 'thread', thank you for sharing. Learnt so much and look forward to reading more.
justmeandmytortoise is offline   Reply With Quote