Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 15-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Alistair&Robyn
Hatched

Default Anyone with redfoot experience please read, pleases!

Today I have measured all our torts and weighed them, it's the first time we've done all of them and if anyone can help, I'd like to check they're a heathly size/weight for their age.

In alphabetical order:

Andante: 8 months 6.75cm 99g
Austyn: 18 months 5.5cm 59g
Bolivar: 2.5 yrs 8.5cm 189g
Gershwin: 7 months 6cm 72g
Offenbach: 2.5 yrs 8cm 140g
Rutherford: 8 months 6.25cm 80g

I don't suppose anyone knows if these are normal, or if there is any ratio for them that's reliable? Given how small Austyn is for her age I am a bit concerned about her.

Ta =)
Alistair&Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi,

Only just seen this post, I don't keep reds but i am sure you will get answered soon.

I am moving you to Non Med Species torts from the vets section, hopefully you will get a better response.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
boost-boy74
Incubating

sure someone will answer - i have 2 reds which i have not weighed but i will for you.....
0.0.3 sulcata
1.1.0 bosc monitor lizard
4.8.x leos
0.0.1 corn snake - 0.0.1 royal python coming soon
boost-boy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
linda
Adult

[quote=Alistair&Robyn;316994]Today I have measured all our torts and weighed them, it's the first time we've done all of them and if anyone can help, I'd like to check they're a heathly size/weight for their age.

In alphabetical order:

Andante: 8 months 6.75cm 99g
Bolivar: 2.5 yrs 8.5cm 189g
Gershwin: 7 months 6cm 72g
Offenbach: 2.5 yrs 8cm 140g
Rutherford: 8 months 6.25cm 80g

I don't suppose anyone knows if these are normal, or if there is any ratio for them that's reliable? Given how small Austyn is for her age I am a bit

concerned about her.

sorry only just seen this thread

think they all sound ok

except for

who at this age / size seems below par

is austyn' shell firm ?
is he gaining
hatchling weight
weight gain now
for an 18 month red he seems to be a little below normal xx
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Alistair&Robyn
Hatched

Yeah, I posted a threat in the health/vets section last week about her.

Her shell is fine, she's very smooth as well, probably the most smooth. We've only just got her, and was told she was 18 months, and as the person we got her from has had her for 6 months even if she wasn't 18 she's at least 6, which still seems a bit small.

We've only had her a few weeks, not sure if she's gained weight since, but we're keeping a close eye on her making sure she's eating - which she is - and I'm going to worm them all just to be on the safe side.

I don't really have any more info about her I'm afraid, but I believe the person I got her from -labgang- got her from the breeder.

She does seem healthy, though very, very small. Do you think I should take her to the vet?

I'm glad the others seem okay =)

And thanks for your help Linda!
Old 18-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
blackcat38
Egg

someone off one of the other forums posted this formula which is from a paper, haven't got the reference anymore sorry incase you wanted to look up the paper
redfoot theoretical weight (g) = (scl in cm)cubed x 0.191

I measure and weigh mine every sunday after there bath and have started putting in the values into excel, if your worry about growth anf weight gain I suggest you do that and plot yourself a graph so it's easy to keep track.

One of mine is about 18months and is 8.4cm weighing 108g. another is about 2.5yrs maybe a little older, 11.7cm weighing 316g. One around 2.5/3yrs is 13cm weighing 422g. According to that formula they are around the right weight.

I would of expected your 2/2.5 yrs torts to have a longer scl, but their weight looks fine for the length they're at.
I'd just start weighing and measuring, it'll be easier to notice any changes.

Rachel x
blackcat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
lab-gang
Hatched

when i bought the reds from 'madsmum' the female was smaller than the 2 males, even though she eats like a pig as all the 3 did and still do i expect she was the 1 who seemed to grow, but very very slowly, and prior to me buying them originally they were all wormed and have never seen any worms so ruled that out

i know when it has been mentioned before, some have siad she may well be the 'runt' of the litter so to speak, personally i dont know as i dont have enough years under my belt to know if you actually get runts now and again, breeders may well be able to answer this?

as mentioned the shell is super smooth and her personality is sweet as, and eats well, but does seem to grow VERY slow, feel free to shout if i can help at all in any way i will, and give as much info as i have if required

Not been online for ages, tonnes going on, including a house move, if we ever get there mind
lab-gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Alistair&Robyn
Hatched

I've been keeping her to one side to eat as she eats a lot slower than the others, so we've been making sure she gets enough and they dont eat it all before her! But yeah, she's very cute, very loving, just a bit concerned because she is so small. Since we've had her she's put on a few grams and grown nearly a centimetre, she's got a lot of catching up to do!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
lab-gang
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair&Robyn View Post
I've been keeping her to one side to eat as she eats a lot slower than the others, so we've been making sure she gets enough and they dont eat it all before her! But yeah, she's very cute, very loving, just a bit concerned because she is so small. Since we've had her she's put on a few grams and grown nearly a centimetre, she's got a lot of catching up to do!
glad to hear she is doing well, the 2 boys are doing good aswell i hope which am sure they are

completely know where your coming from as she is small, i thought that when i got the trio, but she seemed happy and well within herself, eating well and moving round exploring fine etc etc so i felt happy within myself when i got the trio, the good thing is that she is growing and putting weight on, albeit slowly, as was the same when i had her, if there was no weight gain or even weight loss then i would have got concerned, but that never was an issue

She's in good hands as all of them are, so keep up the good work and keep us posted of the progress
lab-gang is offline   Reply With Quote