Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 21-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Upsidedownsquirrel
Egg

Default Hello again help required with outdoor leopard enclosure!

Hi again, I would like to that you all again for helpful replies last time and Stig seems to have settled in well and munching away like a demon! I'm in the current process of build outdoor enclosure for him it is 9ft 6 by 4ft by 10ft4 by 2ft6 wierd I know but such a big space in my garden doing nothing! I'm attaching a 2ft6 by 2ft squarish house to that with a 125w MVB heat lamp which i hope will be able to keep him warm throughout the year! once up i shall monitor temps but has anyone any suggestions on if I should insulate this or even if this would get too warm in the space provided? - Stig will be able to move from house to enclosure. Does anyone forsee any problems? Any suggestions for flooring substrate as just concrete slabs at the mo? Thanks all for you time. Amy and Stig
Upsidedownsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi, reading this, your house 2ft 6" by 2ft, does not seem large enough. The reason i think is, whith the lamp it will be warm enough but they still need a cool end, to thermoregulate, then the house/hut, can become a permanent home in severe winter weeks, so some space is needed, the general rule is to insulate, roof, walls and floor, for the night time heat, usualy on a thermostat, keeping temps at 50 to 70f on cold nights, a paved floor will be to cold, a lot of the heat will be lost, better timber with a paver under the heat source, and i use redigrass in the other area

The temps are without heat on a good day Hope this help's
Paul

Last edited by 16 shells; 21-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.
16 shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Upsidedownsquirrel
Egg

Hi, thanks for the pic, i was thinking that the MVbulb might be too hot for him, but think now might get a normal bulb and put a thermostat on it to regulate temps or would a ceramic heater be better? He going to come in over winter as he's still relatively small (only 4in!) and would worry about him! When he's massive he's getting the garage with a giant tortoise flap!! I'll set it up i think and will monitor temps and see how it goes! He loves readigrass and was going to build up base with a couple of bits of marine ply and some sterilised soil, jut cos he like to sleep like that. Thanks again Amy and Stig
Old 22-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
boost-boy74
Incubating

keep us updated on your project, im just about to build a 25x25 square pen for my sullys when they grow.......
0.0.3 sulcata
1.1.0 bosc monitor lizard
4.8.x leos
0.0.1 corn snake - 0.0.1 royal python coming soon
boost-boy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

[quote=Upsidedownsquirrel; i was thinking that the MVbulb might be too hot for him, but think now might get a normal bulb and put a thermostat on it to regulate temps or would a ceramic heater be better?
I have one, combined heat/uv bulb, 125w can get temp 85 - 100f, and one, ceramic on a thermostat, for night time set to come on if temps drop below 50f, i am adding background heat to the shed for the winter, as i am trying not to bring him in at all now.
Old 22-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Upsidedownsquirrel
Egg

Thats kinda the idea i want to do eventually - i have my mum to pursuade with the leaving out - even our cats aren't allowed out at night! Will let you all know how it goes - got to get the electrian over to sort out access to Stigs house so he got some heat!! Thanks again Amy and Stig