Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Angie44
Egg

Default Advice on Leo needed, please

Hi everyone. I'm new on here and would appreciate some advice. We have a 6 year old Leo named Pokey (don't ask me -my partner's idea!).
1. A friend is building us a new table-as big as we can fit in-4 ft by 4 ft. We want to know if it's safe to stain, varnish or paint the wood outside and/or inside to make it less porous and is there any special stuff we should use.
2. Pokey is not at all keen on grass though we know it should form 70% of his diet. He doesn't graze on the lawn grass when outside and the only way we can get him to eat any is to chop it up so that it sticks to his other food (watercress, some salad leaves, courgette, clover etc). Has anyone any ideas on this?
3. Pokey is 6.5 in long at present, has grown 2.5 in since we got him nearly 3 years ago. How big can he get before the indoor table is too small?
4. We live on the north-west coast of England. We have only been letting him go outside when the temperature is 70 degrees or more. Is this the right thing to do?

Sorry that's a lot of questions. I'd be grateful for any advice on any of them. Thanks!
Angie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

1 Marine varnish is what you want to use to make the table water resistant. Just make sure it's dry and fume free when you put the Leopard in.
2 Just keep doing what your doing with the grass. Also try different types of grass, you might find one he likes.
3 He should be fine in the table until he is 10 to 12 inches. Just when he is that size, you can't have any decorations in the table. How high are the sides of the table going to be?
4 Sounds good to me

Danny
Old 05-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Angie44
Egg

Thanks Danny-that's really helpful.
Cheers Angela
Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Angie44
Egg

Default tortoise table

The sides of the table will be 350 mm high, though there will also be a much taller hide (so that we can put the ceramic heat lamp in there-thermostatically controlled for night-time temperature control).
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

We let our Leos out when the temps are in the mid 60's, but keep an eye on the temps while they are out.
Our original Leo table when we had 4 small ones, all under 4" was 6ft x 3ft, we made it longer to make it seem further for them to walk, and put in plants, not that they stood much of a chance! and hides and barriers for them to wander round.

Do you have a shed that you could convert for your Leo (as it grows) after insulating and heating installed. I'm sure you already know the bigger they get, the bigger and smellier their poos get!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
TortMad
Adult

I have my leos out most days. Except the really cold and bitter days.

I don't live on the coast, but do live in sunny Lancashire

As long as they have spent the morning warming under their lamps then mine are fine for a good few hours. Mine do have some size on them now though

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Angie44
Egg

Thanks everyone for your advice. We'll have to think about an ouside house in due course especially bearing in mind Laraine's advice about poo!!!! (Not nice)
Old 06-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

You might want to raise the sides to 50cm Angela. That way you won't have to add to the height as he grows.

Danny
Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
Angie44
Egg

We'll do that Danny. Thanks.
Angela