Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #551
Gordon
Adult

Well had operation number seven yesterday afternoon as they had several real emergencies on Monday which was a bit frustrating but I always believe though I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort there is always someone who is worce and I can wait my turn.

They have drained and removed two more abscesses which for some bizarre reason started on Sunday again.
I was in the recovery room before coming back to the ward and one of the ladies was amazing and listened to everything that had gone on to the point of getting my dose of morphine doubled as I told her it never works so to which she asked how much I normally had and she said that's a dose for a normal sized person which I'm still not yet.
She also is going to get the hospital dietitian to come and see me which I think will help as eating salad all the time isn't apparently good for weight loss hence I lost a lot to start with but it's now come to an almost stop. And she understood with what's going on exercise is limited.

It's now 6am and I cant describe the awful taste in my mouth it's not one I have had before which is either from the large amount of fentanyl I had in the recovery room or something else they have given me.

The lady also said I had some really bad contagious infection which I cant remember what it was so will ask when doctors come by later which is odd as he did say last time the had to have the theatre deep cleaned after my operation so I'm intrigued.

Mary you can try calling me but the signal is always good. Xxxx
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #552
emma_mcraf
Adult

Sounds like you struck lucky with a good nurse. I hope that you’ll be able to have some relief from the pain and this good thorough clean out will finally do the trick. I wonder if this infection has been lurking all along, creating the abscesses?
Would mint tic tacs be any good for helping the horrid taste in your mouth?
Hope the dietician can offer some good lists of food that aids weight loss. Salad is so boring after a while. Sounds like you’ve plateaued and need a kick to get the metabolism going again.
For now, rest up and I hope you have a quick recovery and no more infections! xx

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #553
Gordon
Adult

Its amazing how occasionally you find that one person who seems to listen give you good advice and do things when they say they will which is rare.

I have just seen a different surgeon and I really hope he was joking but he was going along the lines of cutting away the whole of my belly including belly button as he seem to think it would be a better way of going about it.

Not sure I like that idea it is a very dramatic weight loss plan. I will be quizzing my other surgeon about that one me thanks.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #554
emma_mcraf
Adult

Wow - extreme! I presume he thinks it would get rid of the area that gets infected plus give you a bit of a tummy tuck at the same time?
I think a second opinion is definitely worth it on this, plus reassurance that you’re not going to be back at stage one with new infections beginning again from such a surgery.
You must be sick of seeing the inside of hospitals by now.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 12-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #555
Gordon
Adult

I certainly will be getting a second opinion as even though I have jokingly suggested a free nhs tummy tuck it did make me think wow that's extreme. I would let them do it if I could get a written 100% that will fix it.
But even then with my luck where the heck would that end up if I get infected. Also I would loose my belly button and where would I stick my pen while doing a crossword.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #556
emma_mcraf
Adult

I think the worry of having it done and then starting having infections again would be horrendous. I don’t think they’ve known how to manage all you’ve gone through so the chances of them giving you a 100% reassurance it would all be okay is probably a big fat zero.
As for the belly button, my eldest son doesn’t have one. He had surgery at 19 weeks old for a wet umbilicus which then became a leaking umbilicus which became a bleeding umbilicus. After being told there was nothing wrong with him and having different GPs and nurses trying to treat it in different ways, we ended up in Bristol Children’s hospital. All tests were inconclusive so they did exploratory surgery and he had a Meckels Diverticulum, which he’d been born with and it had a fistula that was connected to his umbilicus and thought it was a piece of stomach tissue so produced stomach acid which leaked and burned his tummy area every day. It was a right carry-on. Anyway, when they discovered that, they hadn’t considered it at all and we were told he was four weeks away from it rupturing and we would have lost him.
They were quite clever and sewed him up with a couple of little folds so it kind of looks like he has a belly button but he doesn’t.
Hasn’t stopped him or put the ladies off.
I’ll ask where he puts his pen instead...not sure you’d appreciate the answer I can imagine he’d give!

Old 12-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #557
Gordon
Adult

it wont be behind your ear as for some reason they wont stay still like a pencil.
As for the belly button bizarrely a chap on my ward had bowel surgery and they removed his and put a fold or something there and he showed me and it sort of looks ok.
But to be honest I think its going to take me years to ever take my shirt off in public again.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #558
emma_mcraf
Adult

Ha - yes, you’re right!

I think a belly button is the last thing you need to worry about but I’m sure, should you opt for that surgery, they’ll make it as neat as possible.
Don’t feel self-conscious about your belly. It’s not your fault. The dips and bumps are part of something you went through and if you’re on the beach and take your shirt off, stuff anyone who looks. Just tell yourself they’re trying to work out if you’re Daniel Craig or someone similar.
How long are you in hospital for?

Old 12-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #559
Yvonne G
Hatched

Keep the faith, Gordon. We're all pulling for you.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #560
Suze65
Adult

So sorry to hear this Gordon , one day soon this will all come to an end and you will be better, it has to

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote