Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
elly2
Egg

Default Another new owner

Hi we have 2 horsefield tortoises that we got on xmas eve, they were bought from a pet shop and are housed in a tortoise table with a basking lamp (50w) and a strip light(5.0 uvb) they also came with a heat mat which we are not using (not sure if we should use it or not there seems to be different advice about using mats) they came with some sera reptil pellet like food that you soak in water till its soft. I have bought some packs of salad to feed them on until i get to know what weeds are safe but have been offering them ones that i have found from the garden but they don't seem to want to eat at all. I have so far bathed them x2 and on spot cleaning their sleeping area i have found poo they seem active when they are out from where they sleep but I am worried that they have hardly eaten anything since we got them does anyone have any advice how i can tempt them into even having a nibble at something.
elly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there. Don't worry about them not eating for a couple ofdays. Tortoises often take a few days to get used to new surroundings and don't eat much during that time. I'm personally against heat mats. It's worth checking what temperatures you are getting without the mat switched on.
If the tortoises are used to the food you have, you might need to feed at least some of it mixed with other stuff until they get used to food you prefer to give. Welcome to shelled warriors!
Old 29-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Catwoman63
Adult

The temps under the basking area should be around 32 to 34c and cool end I have it 23 to 25c, I don't feed any of mine pellets. Floret the crispy salad and romaine lettuce, greens, lambs lettuce during winter months and any weeds I can find x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
elly2
Egg

Hi thanks for the replies i am getting a temp of 30 under the basking lamp but they dont seem to want to be under it (I have ordered 2 digital thermostats and a timer for the lights) they keep going to the cooler end, again they are quite active this morning one had a root about in the food but didn't look like he ate any. I am using an exo terra 50w bulb that says it is multi purpose it is in a desk lamp at the minute pointed over one corner of the house I am waiting for a clip on dome light to be delivered,will this be better? (my dad says when he went to buy them they were housed in a viv so I am wondering if the change of housing is bothering them). The pet shop gave my dad some wood stuff for the bottom of the house but i have bought some sand/soil mix as have read that it is better for them so they can burrow into it.
Old 29-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly2 View Post
Hi we have 2 horsefield tortoises that we got on xmas eve, they were bought from a pet shop and are housed in a tortoise table with a basking lamp (50w) and a strip light(5.0 uvb) they also came with a heat mat which we are not using (not sure if we should use it or not there seems to be different advice about using mats) they came with some sera reptil pellet like food that you soak in water till its soft. I have bought some packs of salad to feed them on until i get to know what weeds are safe but have been offering them ones that i have found from the garden but they don't seem to want to eat at all. I have so far bathed them x2 and on spot cleaning their sleeping area i have found poo they seem active when they are out from where they sleep but I am worried that they have hardly eaten anything since we got them does anyone have any advice how i can tempt them into even having a nibble at something.
Tortoises can go weeks without food (something hard for new keepers to get their heads around:0) ) but they do need to be bathed at least twice a day for the first month, as dehydration is the biggest killers with new tortoises in a new home.
If your tortoises are active then they are just getting used to a new setup and way of being kept. Just like us they don't like change:0)
Eating is a problem for you not the tortoises:0)
They will eat when they are well and truly settled in:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
elly2
Egg

Hi Sandy thanks for that re bathing is cooled boiled water best or is tap water ok to use? or does it make no difference and is luke warm water better?
Old 29-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
becciwales
Adult

Hello and welcome. Tortoise need 10.0 UVB and I've never found a 50w lamp to be warm enough in my house, but as said above check the temps. We use an infra red point and shoot type thermometer as we've found those to be most accurate for us.
We use florette crispy a lot in the winter too, it's in Lidl if there's one near you, ours aren't fussed on pellets but if that's all yours have been used to they'll probably need weening as Jonathan mentioned.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Suze65
Adult

Hello and welcome, I agree with all the above, but just to add to that, you can add some pre Alpin to the florette and weeds, specially over the winter months when weeds are scarce. It adds fibre to green food. Also have a look on the tortoise table website for info on weeds and supliments.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

if you want the torts to enjoy their bath then it needs to be warm and where the water comes from doesn't really matter, mine used to like it warm like a baby's bath and would stretch out and thoroughly relax. If its to cold they won't want to stay as they don't 'operate' when cold where as they love warmth, they can stay as long as they want just keep topping up with warm water ie take a cup out and put a warm one in. My torts were happy with it up to their necks and would often put their heads under which is quite normal as thats how they drink, they would also wee and often poo in the water which is another reason to bath them.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
elly2
Egg

Hi i bathed them and one did a poo and a wee but the other did neither and he seems to be much more subdued than the other although he is still active. I have ordered an infared thermometer a 10.0 uvb tube a clip on light and a 100w heat bulb they have a cuttlefish but do i need a calcium powder as well, i change the water daily and put fresh food in daily is there anything i need to do to make them comfortable/happy in the new housing.