Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
shelmarie
Hatchling

Exclamation altered vivarium

Hi all

I just bought two 7 month old hermans.

After getting them home and joining your site i realised the vivarium i had been sold was highly unsuitable.

I've removed both glass panels and in there place put two very strong pieces of metal mesh (with plastic covering).

Please take a look at my profile picture and let me know if this will now be suitable.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks Shell
shelmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
yuna1971
Adult

Hi Shelmarie, welcome.

This is my opinion and I will be honest with you.
I think you have been misold this item. It is not the best thing to keep your type of species of tort in. But the shops are forever doing this - palming the buyer off with wrongful information - and vivs are a money maker for them.

You did remove the glass, and that is good. But...I think the wire mesh with the plastic front, i am afraid will still pose a problem.
Your torts will still be able to see the other side of the mesh. They will want to get to the other side because of this, and try and climb, poke their heads or claws through. They will get stressed doing this after a while and what you dont want is one or both going down with RNS or any other illness. RNS can be caused by stress.
Also, if it has a plastic covering - do you mean a sheet going accross the mesh?? I dont think this is good as you are basically taking all the air flow out and not allowing a heat/cool end gradient. (I gather this is what you meant - sorry if its not what you have )
You probably will be best to get a tortoise table. This is what most owners have and it provides a good safe environment for your tort. It will also allow the air to flow around.
You then put in soil and playsand substrate. Or just a normal unfertilised topsoil substrate - (check to see what depth the substrate should be)
And go from there. Add a hide - to place at the cool end.

Might be better if you post a bigger pic of your set up. Also what lighting are you using?
I hope this helps.
See what others say, they may have differing opinions.
xxx Good luck.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
shelmarie
Hatchling

Thanks for the advise yuna, it's very much appreciated.

I didn't mean i had a plastic sheet covering the front, i just meant that the mesh was the type that has hard white palstic surrounding the bars.

I've already got them there hide, and at the moment i've got a separte uv light and heat bulb.

Also what plants could i put in for them, they already have a few plant pots and rocks for them to explore ect, but i would like to put in some plants that brighten it up but wont halm them if they eat it.

Thanks gain for the help.
shelmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

Sorry, i misunderstood what you meant. I think see what others say on the viv, personally speaking - I would get a tortoise table - they will be happier there.
Your light set up is ok. What is the wattage on the heat light? Also the size of the viv?
Plants - I have spider plants in Lilys enclosure, safe if they eat it, and also they can be forgiviing if you forget to water! They also grow quite nice and sprout lots of leaves so tortys can hide if they want!!
Your set up sounds ok shelmarie. keep asking questions on here, you are doing the right thing and before long your knowledge will get better and better.
Maybe get a tort table though if your pocket can allow it or perhaps convert what you have so its open topped, but all four sides are wooden?? See what others say on the matter.
xx No worries, always happy to help - like in ASDA!

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Neddy
Sub Adult

Because you have the open mesh the airflow would be a vast improvement then having the glass there.......however for maximum air flow potential I would also recommend a tortoise table.
They are very easy to make we simple got a think piece of mdf for the base and just over a foot high skirting for the edges. However you may want to get higher edges as my Ralph is an escape artist lol
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
ziggy's owner
Adult

Mine lives in vivs and have no doors and are fine, so don't worry it's fine
as for plants you can plant spider plants pansys viola petunias

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
ziggy's owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Neddy
Sub Adult

To be fair it is a matter of personal choice............
The majority of tortoise keepers keep there torts is tables yes it the maximum air flow but also allows easy access and it is easier to clean. You can get in there with a dustpan and brush etc...... And you also get a birdseye view which is also a plus.
I have sections of texture to stimulate Ralph so sand and topsoil mix one end, just flat wood surface for the feeding area, then pebbles, tunnels and activity bit. His table is 6ft by 2 &half foot but it will need to be enlarged due to his species
You can really put your own stamp on it too, if you go to Joanna's profile and look at her threads she has photos of hers and it is superb!!
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
pagan queen
Adult

Could you turn the viv on it's back so the opening is at the top and then treat it like a table with soil etc?
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
jackiedots
Incubating

Hi Shell

I was in exactly the same position as you 6 months ago. We bought two Hermanns and were sold an expensive vivarium. We came away from the shop really pleased with ourselves as we thought we were doing the right thing by them. Then of course, the same as you, we read on the forum that vivs are not good for torts. To begin with we put a grill across where the glass was to improve the airflow. When I could afford it we bought two flat packed Ikea bookcases and adapted them to make a tort table. There are easier and much cheaper ways though as has been mentioned already in this thread. What you have done so far is a vast improvement so well done for that. Look at the indoor enclosure pictures on this forum and you will get lots of really good ideas and when you have time and finances will allow you can make a table for yours. You can pick up second hand bookcases for next to nothing from recycling places. Our local recycling tip usually has lots that people have discarded and they will let you have them for a few pounds. Good luck with it and dont forget to post some pics of your torts !!

Jackie
xx
jackiedots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
ziggy's owner
Adult

well i have indoor rabbit cages and viv's and my torts are happy, as they are a young torts a viv wont do them any harm, i have removed my doors, and put a wooden block along the front @ a certain hight, slo they cant fall out, my hermanns are happy, and as long as they get time outside i dont think you have to worry as of yet,

young torts do a lot better in a viv, so a few breeders have told me, and some of these have been breeding for years, and also a few of the reg users also dont see a problem in vivs, it is ur choice at the end of the day, so do what u feel is right

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
ziggy's owner is offline   Reply With Quote