Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
sheldonrocks
Egg

Default Asleep for a week - advice please

Hi My horse field has been asleep behind the curtain in our dinning room for a week now. He usually stays in a viv but always wants to spend time out of the viv wandering about the house. The last time we let him out this is where he ended up and we left him as he seemed content.

He often goes behind floor length curtains presumably because it's cool and he wants to hibernate. It's cool in there with no heating on unless we use the room.

My concern is that we havent prepared him for
Hibernation. Do you think that's it and he is hibernating, or he'll wake up anytime soon? Or am I ok to put him back in his viv?

Thanks
sheldonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonrocks View Post
Hi My horse field has been asleep behind the curtain in our dinning room for a week now. He usually stays in a viv but always wants to spend time out of the viv wandering about the house. The last time we let him out this is where he ended up and we left him as he seemed content.

He often goes behind floor length curtains presumably because it's cool and he wants to hibernate. It's cool in there with no heating on unless we use the room.

My concern is that we havent prepared him for
Hibernation. Do you think that's it and he is hibernating, or he'll wake up anytime soon? Or am I ok to put him back in his viv?

Thanks
For any tortoise to go into hibernation they really need to be wound down properly. Other wise you are asking for future problems:0(

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Catwoman63
Adult

It's really not ideal to leave him behind a curtain on the floor, he isn't moving because he is cold there, and there will be draughts and dust which isnt good for them. If you put him in his warm home he will liven up again, and as sandy said he needs to be wound down properly with lots of baths to keep him hydrated.

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Suze65
Adult

I agree, I wouldn't leave him there, and if he hasn't done a propper wind down, your asking for trouble. I would warm him up, check his weight, either keep him awake or wind him down correctly .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote