Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 11-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
Ludrup
Egg

Default Outdoor sleeping and basking ideas

Hi

My outdoor enclosure is now coming on for my two Hermann's and wanted to know what others have done for sleeping and basking areas. Have most people made their own or is there something on the market that is suitable. I am looking to insulate the sleeping area and to use a heat mat on a thermostat to make sure the tamps don't get too low.

With a basking area, do you have a heat bulb in the same 'house' as the sleeping area, or a separate structure such as a cloche or cucumber frame?

ANy help would be appreciated

L
Ludrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludrup View Post
Hi

My outdoor enclosure is now coming on for my two Hermann's and wanted to know what others have done for sleeping and basking areas. Have most people made their own or is there something on the market that is suitable. I am looking to insulate the sleeping area and to use a heat mat on a thermostat to make sure the tamps don't get too low.

With a basking area, do you have a heat bulb in the same 'house' as the sleeping area, or a separate structure such as a cloche or cucumber frame?

ANy help would be appreciated

L
You need something with a certain amount of strength. As winds can blow them away, or torts can knock them about.
I have a greenhouse set on bricks, heated when needed, and bubble wrapped to help keep the cold out.
Some have used dog kennels, with thick plastic across the door.
Half potting sheds have also been used.
I also have in heated cold frames for when they are in enclosures, from the end of April until the end of September, depending on the weather in your area.
So lots of ideas out there:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there, I have some cold frames and that works well for me. Two of them were actually designed for tortoises and are made of uv transmitting material.

Here's a link http://www.hoklartherm.de/gewaechsha...a-typ-100.html

These are brilliant but expensive. A company in Yorkshire has a tie-in with the people in Germany that make it. Let me know if you want to look into it and I'll dig out the details.

I agree with Sandy there are quite a few ways of going about it. One of our members Wigwamman made a fab coldframe with a lumisol cover. This is possibly just as good as my coldframes and done for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...isol+coldframe

If you've got outdoor electrics it's well worth having a basking lamp and/or ceramic heat emitter.

If I had the space I'd be interested in a lumisol polytunnel with an outside area. Maybe one day............

Some keepers have used adapted rabbit hutches and suchlike, made their own or paid someone to make something to their own design.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 11-06-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

cor that's first one is a bit posh Jonathan ! looks like palatial home in glass.
I love all the photos of set ups on here - lots to suit. I don't have electrics, lots of cloche / greenhouse / pop ups / lumisol / plastics everywhere , vertical / horizontal.
Luckily the weather is usually ok in SE & south. Dry is important also. CB
Old 14-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

At the moment mine have cold frames ( with no electrics) and wooden tort boxes, for there beds. But I'm getting a bigger shed which I'm going to insulate and put in electrics, for a lights and heating, this will be for the spring and really bad summers( which we do get sometimes, 2012)

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote