Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 20-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

carpet is certainly not ideal they can and do pick up all manner of things, members have found them trying to pass hairs/fluff etc all of which potentially could harm. Plus they are getting no benefit as there's no natural uv in a house, anyway I'm sorry but I'm strongly against allowing them to wander around the house, besides the eating of 'nasties' there's also been incidents of the tort being trodden on or getting stuck, ie if the phone rings or there's an emergency or young children/old folks in the house. The owners of torts who have had something nasty happen to them also thought they were doing the right thing and also thought nothing could happen much the same as those who allow their dogs near the animals. I once went to someone's house who kept a large Sulcatta, this was allowed to roam the house and come and go as it pleased, the damage to its shell was very obvious from dragging/moving the furniture and getting stuck in places plus the tort was freezing cold, it had no basking area and was covered in dog hairs, that owner thought it was fine to keep it that way, I didn't.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
nikki81
Hatched

Point taken ill keep the exploring till the summer months in a pen in the garden thanks all

0.2.0 Red Foots george and freda

1.0.0 Rusty dog R.I.P

0.1.0 Mice R.I.P gus gus

0.1.0 guinea pig piglet
nikki81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Box girl
Sub Adult

Agree with this Pussygalore and had to laugh re the sulcata ours were housed in the conservatory, managed to get out and in the middle of the night we heard banging and crashing Hubbie went downstairs I was phoning the police!. Very red face when I had to admit it was the sulcata going for a stroll and taking the chair with them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
carpet is certainly not ideal they can and do pick up all manner of things, members have found them trying to pass hairs/fluff etc all of which potentially could harm. Plus they are getting no benefit as there's no natural uv in a house, anyway I'm sorry but I'm strongly against allowing them to wander around the house, besides the eating of 'nasties' there's also been incidents of the tort being trodden on or getting stuck, ie if the phone rings or there's an emergency or young children/old folks in the house. The owners of torts who have had something nasty happen to them also thought they were doing the right thing and also thought nothing could happen much the same as those who allow their dogs near the animals. I once went to someone's house who kept a large Sulcatta, this was allowed to roam the house and come and go as it pleased, the damage to its shell was very obvious from dragging/moving the furniture and getting stuck in places plus the tort was freezing cold, it had no basking area and was covered in dog hairs, that owner thought it was fine to keep it that way, I didn't.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

you should have seen the edge of the wooden stairs, the stairway was one which is open underneath, the tort, from barging under, had really damaged the wood and to cap it all the owner said it made a good foot stool and she promptly put her cup of coffee on its back to show the coffee table use. I had to bite my tongue especially as the tort orriginally came from a rescue who inspected her home etc before letting her have it, I didn't even notice the tort at first it was so still and cold and I didn't know she had one. They had however taken up the carpet and put down a wooden floor which I suppose was a bit more practical for 'mucking out', my baby sully does big poo's and she's only just over a year heaven know's how big and smelly an adults would be, even my adult Ibera's did poo's I'd not want in the house
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Box girl
Sub Adult

Good grief just goes to show people will always surprise you!
Quote:
you should have seen the edge of the wooden stairs, the stairway was one which is open underneath, the tort, from barging under, had really damaged the wood and to cap it all the owner said it made a good foot stool and she promptly put her cup of coffee on its back to show the coffee table use. I had to bite my tongue especially as the tort orriginally came from a rescue who inspected her home etc before letting her have it, I didn't even notice the tort at first it was so still and cold and I didn't know she had one. They had however taken up the carpet and put down a wooden floor which I suppose was a bit more practical for 'mucking out', my baby sully does big poo's and she's only just over a year heaven know's how big and smelly an adults would be, even my adult Ibera's did poo's I'd not want in the house

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
JackieL
Sub Adult

Quote:
Not doubting your point of view, just wanted to say, as regards the UVB surely in the wild they aren't always totally in receipt of UVB, i.e. taking cover under rocks and in bushes, just a suggestion.

Mine all come out every day! Our house has wooden floors every where so it's no problem if they have an accident, the disinfectant is always ready for action !! lol !!

There's always a tortoise wandering around my place at some point, my female Edna is in such a daily routine we laugh at her!

I have a heat lamp set for who ever is wandering, they tend to hang around that, they go to the Kitchen to be fed and hang around the fridge lol, this only occurs during the Winter months I add, Summer months they are outside 24/7.

JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
BeatBeat
Hatchling

My two have an hour or two wandering around the kitchen/dinning area every day. They love to explore and are always eager to come out. Both areas are tiled so any mishaps can be easily cleaned up.

0.2.0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri (Matilda & Maizie)
3.0.0 Shetland Sheepdogs (Bryan, Cali & Bubble)
BeatBeat is offline   Reply With Quote