Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
millie_moo
Incubating

Default feeding my little hermanns

i've had my little Mojo and Zeus a couple of days, i have started to wonder how much should i expect them to eat, the first day i had them Mojo ate a bit of lettuce, Zeus didnt eat. 2nd day i'd bought some tortoise food they both had a good munch but haven't really eaten much since. they have been having daily baths so i'm not worried about hydration but just wondered how much they should eat? they are about 8months old
1.0.0 Red Ear Slider Bobulus
1.0.0 Desert Iguana Charlie
0.1.0 Crested Gecko Harley
millie_moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
rolleyparnell
Hatched

I give them 2 handful of weeds they munch most of them... (only left a little at the end of the day i threw it in compost)
mine are 9 months old so similar age.

I think just keep eyes on their weight.. thats important.

5 Hermann name Bailey, Freddie, George, Minnie and Willow
4 rabbits and 5 Guinea pigs
3 mad cats and 1 dog (hearing dog for the deaf)
3 ferrets
2 daughters and 1 husband

rolleyparnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
carriemags
Hatched

Hi,

We have 2 young hermanns too Offer them the equivalent of enough weeds to cover each shell. I leave this in their enclosure and it soon disappears. Today they had a leaf of sow thistle, ground elder, buddliea, hawk bit, perennial geranium, valerian and dandelion. There are loads of tortoise friendly weeds around at the moment, so no need for lettuce etc. Torts also take a few days to settle in in a new place, so that may be why their appetite seems less. Sure they'll pick up soon.

Where did you get them from?

Carrie
carriemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
psychocaz
Egg

It took my hermann, Cedric, about a week before he started eating his weeds and lettuce. It took him even longer before he started eating his tortoise pellets but now he tucks into whatever I give him. The advice on these forums helped me to keep calm about it - he just took a little while to properly settle in. I'm sure your 2 will soon be eating you out of house and home
psychocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
tortoiseboy
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie_moo View Post
i've had my little Mojo and Zeus a couple of days, i have started to wonder how much should i expect them to eat, the first day i had them Mojo ate a bit of lettuce, Zeus didnt eat. 2nd day i'd bought some tortoise food they both had a good munch but haven't really eaten much since. they have been having daily baths so i'm not worried about hydration but just wondered how much they should eat? they are about 8months old
by tortoise food do you mean pellets?
tortoiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
millie_moo
Incubating

it the tetra tortoise cobs looks like bits of wood to me!! but you soak it to make it soft, i tried feeding them fresh food/weeds but they didn't want o know, then i put this stuff down for them and they both went for it. so i was going to try mixing it with fresh food to see if they realized it is food!

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...&cookie_test=1
Old 05-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie_moo View Post
it the tetra tortoise cobs looks like bits of wood to me!! but you soak it to make it soft, i tried feeding them fresh food/weeds but they didn't want o know, then i put this stuff down for them and they both went for it. so i was going to try mixing it with fresh food to see if they realized it is food!

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...&cookie_test=1
I really think its best you pesist with the weeds. A healthy tortoise won't starve. They can be very stubborn when it comes to getting them on the right foods. Just bathe them daily and try with the weeds. It could take days or even a few weeks before they eat but it will be worth it. As long as they are hydrated they will be fine.
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
a_fisher
Hatched

I know that people on here that take on rehomers stop the pellets and lettuce immidiately and put down weeds only. They might not eat it straight away because it's something that they're not used to. Persist with the weeds, they will not starve.

As for amount, somone has already mentioned use the size of their shell as a guide. This is what I do, but mostly go by their weight. If they're not putting on enough weight, add a little extra food and if they're putting on too much, feed them less

0.0.2 T.h.b
a_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

If you feed them rubbish type foods, it will affect their health in the long run.
Tortoises in the wild, eat plant foods, with the odd variation they might come across.
Pellets and other addictive foods are not good for them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
millie_moo
Incubating

ah ha! success i may have to to cheat a little but they are now eating dandelions, in a desperate bid to get them to eat i tried giving them a strawberry, which they went mad for! so i rubbed a bit of strawberry juice onto the dandelions and hey they eating it now and not just the strawberry covered stuff!