Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Cre
Incubating

Default Daft questions from a worrier!

I have had Alfred (horsfield) since the 16th Nov, he weighed 135g and think he was 8 cm long. He is now 173g and think he is 8.5cm (its hard to tell coz he does not go right into his shell and worried I will snap his neck or something lol). Is Alfred growing to quick? I can see a new growth line around his shell and after researching the www dont think it should be a pronounced as it is but pretty sure I am not over feeding him, so thinking all the good food-weeds etc I am feeding him has made him have some kind of growth spurt, I think I am doing everything else right. He is active and has no probs as far as I can tell.

edited to add, I have just read this through and he can go into his shell...he not that fat lol but as soon as I pick him up he like to see whats going on ha ha

Last edited by Cre; 08-02-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Box girl
Sub Adult

Horsfields are well known for eating too much if you are concerned about the growth which by the way I think is OK. Try what we do and only feed 3-4 times per week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre View Post
I have had Alfred (horsfield) since the 16th Nov, he weighed 135g and think he was 8 cm long. He is now 173g and think he is 8.5cm (its hard to tell coz he does not go right into his shell and worried I will snap his neck or something lol). Is Alfred growing to quick? I can see a new growth line around his shell and after researching the www dont think it should be a pronounced as it is but pretty sure I am not over feeding him, so thinking all the good food-weeds etc I am feeding him has made him have some kind of growth spurt, I think I am doing everything else right. He is active and has no probs as far as I can tell.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

His weight sounds just fine to me. He definately hasn't grown to fast.

Danny
Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Cre
Incubating

Ok, thanks. I bet Alfred will be pleased he does not have to go on a diet. I will continue to monitor his weight etc. I have told my family that NO FEEDING him at all when I am not there, just to make sure he is not being over fed.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
wigwamman
Juvenile

over weight is when they cant withdraw head and legs

dave
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
rachmac
Egg

I got Tellini just before Christmas, he was a bit ill the first week or so, wouldnt eat or drink. A quick trip to the vets got him sorted. Now I'm worried he's putting on weight too quickly, but he was pretty light when i first got him (83g). He has now gone up to about 100g and is roughly 8cm. I'm hoping he is ok to have put on that much as he was ill when i first weighed him. Now I know how much Alfred weighs I can relax a bit.
Thanks!
rachmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Cre
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmac View Post
I got Tellini just before Christmas, he was a bit ill the first week or so, wouldnt eat or drink. A quick trip to the vets got him sorted. Now I'm worried he's putting on weight too quickly, but he was pretty light when i first got him (83g). He has now gone up to about 100g and is roughly 8cm. I'm hoping he is ok to have put on that much as he was ill when i first weighed him. Now I know how much Alfred weighs I can relax a bit.
Thanks!
Ha ha ha, this made me laugh! He's not fat but well built! Or perhaps its puppy fat? x