Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Dan
Egg

Default Hibernation panic!

Hi all, I'm hoping someone is able to offer some advice.

I have very recently hibernated my 2 year old hermans using the fridge method, but am concerned that she did not respond to the winding down period in the same way she did this time last year. I'm worried that perhaps she was not fit for hibernation..

The main differences between this year and last are:

-Last year, she naturally slowed down, even before I started altering her daylight hours and temps, whereas this year, she was still very much active, even 1-2 weeks into the winding down period. Last year felt much more 'natural' - this year seems a bit forced.

-Last year, as well as slowing down, she became quite disinterested in food, whereas this year this did not happen at all. She was behaving as if it was mid summer.

-Last year, she would frequently dig herself deep into the substrate and often remain there for the entire day, whereas for the last 3-4 months I have not seen her dig at all!! she doesn't even use the hide to sleep in.

Before hibernating her this year, I checked her weight-length against the Jackson Ratio - no problems there...
I wound her down slowly over a period of just under 4 weeks, no food, reduced daylight hours, frequent baths, putting her in a colder room etc and last week placed put her into fridge hibernation at exactly 5 degrees.

However, I checked on her 2 days into hibernation and she hadn't dug herself in at all.. she was just sitting on top of the substrate. (I do have a lid placed loosely on top. Last year she naturally dug herself in almost immediately.

She just doesn't seem like she wants to hibernate, and the lack of slowing down, and her reluctance to dig is a big big worry for me. Should I be worried?

There was a period of about a month and a half during the summer where she did not have access to a heat/UV lamp, due to a number of difficulties I had with replacing a broken one. Could it be that this has thrown her body clock out of sync, and this is why she didn't naturally slow down during november/december? This still wouldn't explain the lack of burrowing.

Any ideas?? Would be really appreciated

Thanks,

Dan
Old 28-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

You should only be worried if she's lost an excessive amount of weight. How has she been doing weight-wise?

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Welcome to the forum Dan

What is her SCL (straight carapace length) and her weight before wind down and after wind down?

Danny
Old 28-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
Dan
Egg

Hi Helen, thanks for getting back to me.

This time last year she weighed 67g.

She went into hibernation 3 days ago at 108g. Over 1 year this averages out at a monthly weight gain of 3.4g.

As she has only just gone into hibernation I haven't weighed her yet, but i will weigh her very soon. What would you say is an unnatural drop in weight? I've been told no more than 1% of her body weight per month. Is there much of a margin?

Do you have any ideas why she might have behaved so differently to last year?
Old 29-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Dan
Egg

Hi Dan

Her SCL is 87mm

Her pre wind down weight was 113g

Her post wind down weight was 108g

Thanks
Old 29-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

I think her weight may be a little on the low side. But don't take just my word for it.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Dan
Egg

ps i weighed her just now, she is still at 108g after 3 days and responded to my touch
Old 29-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The pre wind down weight was a bit low. 140g would have been a better weight for her and 150g would have been perfect. So for me I wouldn't hibernate her for very long. 4 to 6 weeks would be all I'd do.

Danny
Old 29-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
Dan
Egg

wow! 40g below the ideal weight does seem quite alot. I don't want to take any risks, but as long as that doesn't count as 'dangerously low' then I'm happy to follow what you've said and do a shortened hibernation, perhaps 4 weeks just to be on the safe side.

In the meantime i'll keep weighing her every few days and will bring her out if weight starts dropping significantly.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply. i really appreciate it!

Dan