Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Taszia
Hatchling

Default Lighting /heat issues

Hello hoping someone can advise me , I have been using the Acadia 160 combi for years but lately am finding it hard to reach temp in my table ? Are these made differently or changed somehow as I have always used them for the reason that they do everything without the need for added heat ... but the last 2 or 3 i have had havent seemed to reach temp ? Any advise on a dif bulb or how to add heat without a mat would be greatful

Many thanks

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taszia View Post
Hello hoping someone can advise me , I have been using the Acadia 160 combi for years but lately am finding it hard to reach temp in my table ? Are these made differently or changed somehow as I have always used them for the reason that they do everything without the need for added heat ... but the last 2 or 3 i have had havent seemed to reach temp ? Any advise on a dif bulb or how to add heat without a mat would be greatful

Many thanks
I just use a 100watt spotlight bulb for heat attached to a dimming stat and tubes for uv.
I have two of the bulbs you mention over my babies only because I was given them and to be honest they are rubbish at giving out heat they are both next to each other and one is a good six inches lower than the other to get the same temp which also isn't warm enough to heat a very wide area so as soon as they are gone they won't be replaced.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
Taszia
Hatchling

Just find it odd as iv used these for many years and never had n issue with heat from them before now ? Wondered if there was a dud batch maybe or they changed them in some way. Thanks for your comment

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Old 13-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

very strange Taszia, I have 160w arcadia and they are fine. You also use the metal behind don't you ? which should focus the heat much more though they come with built in reflector of course. You could check the UV ? it may be the UV has gone and that affects the heat source? CB
Old 15-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Taszia
Hatchling

I use the eco terror lamp shade and stand . Can't be uv issues as if used 3 bulbs ? So can only assume it's the room brig so large that the heat escapes the table ?

Old 17-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes likely. I don't think you can go higher so some good advice on here. I would try doubling up and a moon light on continually to see if you can cover all area. maybe cover some of the area and angle a moonlight into it. I can see lots of heat being lost and is indicated that's why a lot of americans / Canada in colder areas in winter do use vivariums.....